CO2 Issue - The Planted Tank Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
CO2 Issue

I have heavy planted 114 g (48x24x24 inches)tank set up just over a month. It seems like I can’t get CO2 down 1 Ph even though I crank it very high that I can’t not count either weather or mineral oil in the bubble counter. The max of ph down is approx. 0.6. Note that the drop check shows green but not yellow or lime green and Fishes don’t show distress of CO2. In addition fishes keep dying and not willing to eat much. I can’t figure out why (cardinal, rasboras and Amano shrimps )

Water: tap and ro, ph 7.1 and 6.5 with Co2 injecting. Kh 6, gh 5, ammo 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 20

Fert: Nilocg Thrive

Filter eheim pro 4 600 and 2217 both hav lily pipe. One pipe input is surface skimmer type

Light: 2 x 600(24 inches) sp twinstar led hung 5 inches from water. Substrate is tropica with lowest 2 inches and highest 6 “. Light set 7 hrs period

CO2: Gla regulator and inline diffuser set at
35psi.

The reason is that I feel the sign of algea and comparing with reading. It seems the tank need more CO2. Some plants look healthy and and grow some looks to have little yellow, not green. HC shows spreading but slow. Monte Carlo does not look good and it’s roots don’t establish into the ground

Sorry for a long post. Any help and opinion would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 02:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

@houstonreef

What are you using to measure your pH drop?
Greggz likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 02:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I think you need more CO2. Look into buying a flow meter, it should make tracking your CO2 use easier on larger tanks. Bubble counters are (as you are experiencing) not very useful on larger tanks.

Dwyer RMA 151 SSV seems to be the popular choice of flow meters.

As to your fish dying, there could be many reasons why.

Poor stock (breading issues, genetic potential, poor immune system development etc.)
Disease
Tank not being cycled (although your parameters look to be so)
Stress

Are they gasping at the surface? How is your surface agitation?
Greggz likes this.

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

My 30g (25g after learning how a tape measure works) Journal:

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Marine pinpoint

Quagulator

No gasping for air on the fish. And the drop check barely goes back to blue as it should be when. O CO2 injected.

Can you explain and have a link of flow meter?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 11-13-2018 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 02:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

http://www.globaltestsupply.com/pdfs..._datasheet.pdf

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/9...low-meter.html

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/9...in-gallon.html

Here are some links to read through.

Drop checker won't tell you much. Are you using a 4 degree kH solution in it?
Greggz likes this.

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 03:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

120g is a big tank, an inline diffuser just might not be able to supply the Co2 needed to get the drop you are looking for.

I'd suggest you move over to a Griggs reactor, which will allow you to supply more Co2 into that volume of water.

In the end most people with bigger tanks that are achieving one or more point drop in pH are using some form of a reactor, very few use diffusers.
Greggz and Maryland Guppy like this.

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quagulator

Yes it is 4dkh one.

Does active carbon absorb fert?
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 04:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonreef View Post

Does active carbon absorb fert?
No it will not.

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

slipfinger

I had one Gregg from nilocg. The one that utilizes a household water filter. I tried it and it drop check barely turned green. I suspect that the output of eheim 2217 is not strong enough to dissolve CO2 for this particular reactor. Therefore I ordered online diffuser from GLA. I consulted with GLA and they said that the diffuser can handle up to 200g. They also explained that due to my set up with a lot of agitation and surface skimmer it loses some CO2.

How about this: since I have 2 canister filter get one more in-line diffuser and adding a T to split CO2 right after bubble counter to deliver CO2 to 2 diffuser. What do you think?
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 05:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
slipfinger

I had one Gregg from nilocg. The one that utilizes a household water filter. I tried it and it drop check barely turned green. I suspect that the output of eheim 2217 is not strong enough to dissolve CO2 for this particular reactor. Therefore I ordered online diffuser from GLA. I consulted with GLA and they said that the diffuser can handle up to 200g. They also explained that due to my set up with a lot of agitation and surface skimmer it loses some CO2.

How about this: since I have 2 canister filter get one more in-line diffuser and adding a T to split CO2 right after bubble counter to deliver CO2 to 2 diffuser. What do you think?
What you are describing sounds more like a Cerge's reactor. This type of reactor uses a household filter canister with the flow reversed. I am talking about a Rex Grigg's style reactor that looks something like the ones in this thread.

I'm not sure how GLA can say it can handle up to 200gal, what does that even mean........

As mentioned already, I'd throw the diffuser out the window and seriously go with a reactor. If you are using two filters, have one filter hooked up to the Co2 reactor and the other one for your media. Again you will be hard pressed to find anyone with larger tanks 75gal plus using an inline diffuser and maintaining a full point drop plus.

EDIT; Forgot to mention if you have a Pinpoint Marine pH monitor/pen do not even worry about a drop checker. You can also throw the drop checker out the window! Use the monitor/pen, drop checkers are useless in a tank of your size.
Greggz and Maryland Guppy like this.

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipfinger View Post
What you are describing sounds more like a Cerge's reactor. This type of reactor uses a household filter canister with the flow reversed. I am talking about a Rex Grigg's style reactor that looks something like the ones in this thread.

I'm not sure how GLA can say it can handle up to 200gal, what does that even mean........

As mentioned already, I'd throw the diffuser out the window and seriously go with a reactor. If you are using two filters, have one filter hooked up to the Co2 reactor and the other one for your media. Again you will be hard pressed to find anyone with larger tanks 75gal plus using an inline diffuser and maintaining a full point drop plus.

EDIT; Forgot to mention if you have a Pinpoint Marine pH monitor/pen do not even worry about a drop checker. You can also throw the drop checker out the window! Use the monitor/pen, drop checkers are useless in a tank of your size.
Thanks your advice. i had bad experience with the Cerges reactor due to back pressure and that causes restricted outflow. i may hook it up and try again or buy a Rex one.

Bump:
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 02:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but is there a style of reactor that is efficient but doesn't severely restrict the flow?
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but is there a style of reactor that is efficient but doesn't severely restrict the flow?
i am looking for one also. the one that performs great, and simple set up.
varanidguy likes this.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 03:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
i am looking for one also. the one that performs great, and simple set up.

It would be nice. I too use an in-line diffuser, I love that it doesnít restrict flow, I hate the look of the tank when itís running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

|
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 05:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
Technically a Greggs reactor should not restrict flow all that much since its basically a piece of PVC pipe with fittings on the end. The size (length and diameter) of the PVC pipe depends on your needs. Now in saying that people have found that adding an inline ball valve (that you close just a little) after the reactor helps create a little back pressure and in turn aids in dissolving the Co2.

Here is @burr740 design, you can see the ball valve on the outflow of the reactor.

As for buying one, you can easily make these things from parts you can buy at your local Home Depot or Lowes.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode