• 1 Post By Wantsome99
  • 1 Post By Ken Keating1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
EI dosing schedule

I need some help with EI dosing.

I've been dosing macros Monday Wednesday and Friday and micros Tuesday Thursday Saturday. Sunday I do a 50% water change and no ferts.

My plants don't do so well on water change day. They look all slumped down.

Am I doing something wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 09:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi @Wantsome99,

Pictures are always helpful, new growth and older leaves of the various species that seem to be in the worst shape.

Water parameter information helps a lot!

pH -

dKH -

dGH -

nitrates (ppm of NO3) -

Any information on tank size, lighting (model and duration and duration of photoperiod), CO2 or not, etc.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi @Wantsome99,

Pictures are always helpful, new growth and older leaves of the various species that seem to be in the worst shape.

Water parameter information helps a lot!

pH -

dKH -

dGH -

nitrates (ppm of NO3) -

Any information on tank size, lighting (model and duration and duration of photoperiod), CO2 or not, etc.
I had a major outbreak of Blue/Green Algae. So I used the black out method for 5 days. I ended the black out today and did a 50% water change.

The tank is a 55 gallon and I'm using a fluval fresh plant 3.0. I'm using pressurized CO2 at 5 BPS with a greenleaf inline diffuser. I'm running two Eheim ECCO cansiter filters largest size. Substrate is Flourite black.

My lights are on 8 hours a day.

Here are some pics

Flora is hygrophila pinnatifida hygrophila agustafolia ludwigia narrow leaf staurogyne repens anubias nana miscellaneous crypts unknown apontogen dwarf tiger louts.

Here are some pics. I can't test my water for a couple hours. My test kit is in the basement and my cousin is sleeping. He works the late shift. I'll post my water parameters as soon as I can.

Seattle_Aquarist likes this.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

OK got around to testing.

PH 6.6-6.8 with CO2 on.
GH/KH 200 ppm
Nitrate 40 ppm
Phosphate 5.0

These number are from my tank. Last water change was 4 days ago. Last filter cleaning was 2 weeks ago. Not a lot of waste in my tank or high fish load.

My phosphates out of the tap were 2.0. I'm assuming the reason their running at 5.0 is because I'm dosing (P). I'm also getting green spot algae which I read is from high phosphates.

As of now the tank is a 55 gallon and I'm dosing 1/2 tsp KNO3 1/8 tsp KH2PO4 1/8 K2SO4 and 1/8 CSMB following the EI schedule.

A long time ago when I was thinking of getting into planted tanks the guy at the pet shop was explaining EI dosing to me. He said I didn't need to dose phosphate because our tap water had enough.

Could phosphates be my algae issues? what can I do about it? Should I cut back on (P) down to maybe 1/16 or stop all together?

Any help much appreciated.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 02:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Are your plants slumping after the water change or before? What about the days prior and before WCs. The plants don't look that bad. How long has the tank been running? For algae control I'd reduce the on hours for the lights to six hours per day. Phosphates are not causing the algae issue. Some here are dosing phosphate much higher and they don't have algae.
Greggz likes this.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Keating1 View Post
Are your plants slumping after the water change or before? What about the days prior and before WCs. The plants don't look that bad. How long has the tank been running? For algae control I'd reduce the on hours for the lights to six hours per day. Phosphates are not causing the algae issue. Some here are dosing phosphate much higher and they don't have algae.
Maybe I just don't have enough plant mass. The past couple of days after I did the black out I had some of the hygrophila pinnatifida die off. I picked all the dead leave out and trimmed it. It has a ton of runners doing well. I added 2 pumps for circulation. I also noticed my spray bars were aimed at the water surface creating a lot of surface agitation. I think I may have been loosing co2 from the tank so I aimed them down into the water column more. I need to get a drop checker still.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 02:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

Turn down the lights or shorten the light cycle until there is more plant mass.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 03:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
The tank doesn't look that bad in pictures but that can happen as we don't get the real good look.
I like the wood you have and you seem to have a fairly large amount of it. May I ask where and what it is? I've always picked up my own wood and it is one of my favorite things but there are lots of questions about wood so I thought I might ask if it local wood and likely to be cedar or juniper?
I thought it looked like it but I would not expect it to be the problem, just an interest.
For the water chemistry, I would stop dosing phosphate as there seems to be mixed thinking on how it works with algae. Simple thinking, for me, is that I stop adding if I have too much, even though many say it doesn't bother. Consider bumping the K2SO4 a bit to still get the same K.
I do know that there was a major problem with algae on the lake I lived on, until the largest city changed their sewage treatment to remove phosphate and now the water has cleared. Possible that it does not always work the same in all the types of water we have?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 06:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi @Wantsome99,

Sorry for the delayed response, it has been a busy week.

I do agree with the suggestion(s) above to either cut back on the light intensity or the duration of the photoperiod.

Thank you for the water parameter information, is the
Quote:
GH/KH 200 ppm
the ppm of dKH or the ppm of dGH? Also if you could provide your location so I can look up your local water utility I will see if they have a water analysis posted online.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 08:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
First of all, tank looks pretty good to me. Nice job.

Plants drooping on water change day might be from lack of ferts. You just reset the water column then skip dosing.

Personally I front load all macros, but that's long story. You might try double dosing right after the water change then a couple smaller doses during the week.

Not a fan of CSM+B, but again, that's a long story as well.

You said your pH was 6.6 to 6.8 with CO2. What is the completely degassed value? Do you know your KH value? The readings you provided don't tell anything about your CO2 concentration. 5 bubbles is meaningless. Just saying your CO2 might be fine, or really poor. If it's poor, none of the other discussion is too meaningful.

Your hygro P most likely did poorly after the blackout from the blackout. Got weak from no light. Old growth will suffer, but new growth should be fine.

You want surface agitation. It creates oxygen and that is good for your tank. Again, you need to learn how to measure and control pH drop. It's not hard, and will make your life a LOT easier.

40 N & 5 P is nothing to worry about. IMO, some extra P is not causing your algae. Now too much light in relation to plant mass and CO2 levels might be. I'd work on those before worrying about fine tuning ferts.

---
---

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode