All-In-One Fert Recommendations? - The Planted Tank Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question All-In-One Fert Recommendations?

I have long used the Seachem lineup of ferts but have never had the need to tweak the ratio of one fert over another nor do I ever dose them independently days apart as suggested on their website...I just add everything once a week on my maintenance day 30 seconds apart. I had thought many times about mixing them in a bottle so I only have to dose a single solution but I doubt they would be stable in the long term mixed together in a bottle.

I am really trying hard to simplify this hobby of mine so I don't have to give it up, and a single AIO fert would help. Any recommendations on a quality AIO fert? I may have to continue dosing my nitrogen separately from an AIO fert but that is the only thing I can think of...along with Excel which is dosed on a daily basis. Flourish comp, potassium, phosphorus, and iron are what I want to consolidate, it may even be worth running CO2 to eliminate the need for daily Excel dosing but I have consolidated my hobby down to an awesome 2G pico riparium so the CO2 would have to be non-visually invasive (the diffuser).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 09:58 AM
Algae Grower

Thrive.

Thrive+ if you need extra iron

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Any other suggestions?

I have once again downgraded to a simple 3 gallon tank and a Betta with a HOB. Currently only using Flourish, and was thinking about using Trace as well. This time maybe root tabs are the way to go for NPK?

I used to use a blunt syringe to dose the ferts but this time I tried to make it simpler...Flourish in a 2oz spray bottle. A few sprays twice a week and I'm done. Thrive does look like a good product and I think I am going to try that using the same spray bottle delivery method.

-
-
-

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 05:53 AM
Algae Grower

An All in one may be a bit tough for your size aquarium. If I remember right thrive doses 7ppm nitrate per dose into 10 gallons of water so for you your at 21ppm nitrate per dose. If a single dose a week works for you then great but I like to dose micros throughout the week but my tanks primarily have co2 and use more nutrients.

Easy green has a little lower nitrate per dose at 3ppm per 10 gallons so about 9ppm for you per dose but uses edta iron which is unavailable to plants at ph’s above 6.2/6.3. Or is at least mostly unavailable at any ph higher than that.

Based on what’s currently on the market I would just mix your own and have it last a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam the Slayer View Post
An All in one may be a bit tough for your size aquarium. If I remember right thrive doses 7ppm nitrate per dose into 10 gallons of water so for you your at 21ppm nitrate per dose. If a single dose a week works for you then great but I like to dose micros throughout the week but my tanks primarily have co2 and use more nutrients.

Easy green has a little lower nitrate per dose at 3ppm per 10 gallons so about 9ppm for you per dose but uses edta iron which is unavailable to plants at ph’s above 6.2/6.3. Or is at least mostly unavailable at any ph higher than that.

Based on what’s currently on the market I would just mix your own and have it last a long time.
The 3 gallon is heavily planted however, half of it is filled with Sag and the driftwood has tons of Java Fern on it. The other half of the tank has no foreground plants yet but I am undecided between letting the Sag take over and keeping it short in the front or trying to grow Dwarf Hairgrass in the foreground. I heard the two have a hard time growing together, as well as Crypts...maybe it was Vals and not Sag that was allelopathic. I am going to get some floaters, and I am using a larger HOB dialed all the way down to accommodate more media area which I use to grow plants out of including Creeping Fig, Pilea Glauca, and Rabbits Foot Fern. So my nitrogen demand is probably decent, with that being said Thrive comes in traditional, + or Low Tech. There is a decent nitrogen difference between the three from 1.24%-3.09% but the hard thing is determining how much it will need. I can always put it in a different pump bottle such as the sprayer, then measure the sprays.

-
-
-
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 08:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

More than likely in a non co2 tank with betta and simple plants you have fish food/poop can provide adequate nitrogen and phosphorus, fluorish comprehensive can provide the rest. Just test for nitrate and you’ll know if food is keeping up, shoot for 5ppm nitrate.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
More than likely in a non co2 tank with betta and simple plants you have fish food/poop can provide adequate nitrogen and phosphorus, fluorish comprehensive can provide the rest. Just test for nitrate and you’ll know if food is keeping up, shoot for 5ppm nitrate.
I have plants growing out of my filter too, my nitrates are non-existent so far even with Flourish use. I am thinking Thrive low-tech may be the way to go. Between the light feeding, Purigen and plant load my water changes are literally forced by TDS.

-
-
-
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-03-2020, 05:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ive been using thrive since I started my low tech tanks a while back. So far so good. You dont have to use the pump bottle, I believe it tells you how much is suppose to come out in one pump which you can then measure in a different method.

Has been doing well when I stick to a twice a week recommended dosage. I do water changes once a week.

Just my experience.
Teebo likes this.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Are there any downsides to using these ferts if not doing regular water changes? Does an element build up in excess that the plants cant consume?

-
-
-
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I am really sold on Thrive at this point, I did an in depth comparison between Thrive and Flourish Trace with surprising results. I decided to start using distilled water which means I need to add not only my traces back but also raise the GH/KH and pH. Thrive has almost everything Flourish Trace has except for Cobalt, Rubidium, Nickel and Vanadium...but are these four really essential? Both Comp. and Trace have Cobalt in them but there is none in Thrive. Thrive seems to be Flourish Comp. and Trace mixed together only more potent. Seachem has dominated the market because I feel Thrive should be sold at pet stores for entry level low tech tanks rather than 1/8 of Seachems incomplete lineup which is the only thing you can find locally.

This brings me to my next point, since I am going to be using distilled water and keep inverts I planned on using SaltyShrimp Mineral GH/KH+ which will raise the distilled water pH and I even heard SaltyShrimp is good for plants due to its mineral traces. The thing is I can not find the SaltyShrimp ingredients anywhere online so I am unable to compare and make sure I am not overdosing any particular elements that may be overlapped with Thrive. Now I have to figure out how to top the tank off with distilled water without raising the hardness, but if I don't use the SaltyShrimp for my topoff water than I will be topping off with low pH water...which may be okay long as its less than 1/10 of the total tank volume?

-
-
-
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 01:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebo View Post
I am really sold on Thrive at this point, I did an in depth comparison between Thrive and Flourish Trace with surprising results. I decided to start using distilled water which means I need to add not only my traces back but also raise the GH/KH and pH. Thrive has almost everything Flourish Trace has except for Cobalt, Rubidium, Nickel and Vanadium...but are these four really essential? Both Comp. and Trace have Cobalt in them but there is none in Thrive. Thrive seems to be Flourish Comp. and Trace mixed together only more potent. Seachem has dominated the market because I feel Thrive should be sold at pet stores for entry level low tech tanks rather than 1/8 of Seachems incomplete lineup which is the only thing you can find locally.

This brings me to my next point, since I am going to be using distilled water and keep inverts I planned on using SaltyShrimp Mineral GH/KH+ which will raise the distilled water pH and I even heard SaltyShrimp is good for plants due to its mineral traces. The thing is I can not find the SaltyShrimp ingredients anywhere online so I am unable to compare and make sure I am not overdosing any particular elements that may be overlapped with Thrive. Now I have to figure out how to top the tank off with distilled water without raising the hardness, but if I don't use the SaltyShrimp for my topoff water than I will be topping off with low pH water...which may be okay long as its less than 1/10 of the total tank volume?

Thrive is an Estimative Index method of dosing ferts. It therefore needs a 50% water change once a week. I have been succesfully using ThriveC twice a week on my Spec V for the past 4 or so months. Was dosing using the 500ml pump bottle (a single pump doses for 5 gallons) once a week. But I wasn't happy with the results, I am now dosing twice a week. I will likely dose flourish once or twice a week as well going forward. I feel like the micros are holding me back a bit. I like your method of using a spritz bottle and now plan to shamelessly ape it.

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-09-2020, 02:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebo View Post
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/2...l#post11273511
Teebo likes this.

Snail Glades,
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by minorhero View Post
Thrive is an Estimative Index method of dosing ferts. It therefore needs a 50% water change once a week. I have been succesfully using ThriveC twice a week on my Spec V for the past 4 or so months. Was dosing using the 500ml pump bottle (a single pump doses for 5 gallons) once a week. But I wasn't happy with the results, I am now dosing twice a week. I will likely dose flourish once or twice a week as well going forward. I feel like the micros are holding me back a bit. I like your method of using a spritz bottle and now plan to shamelessly ape it.
Honestly even Seachems lineup seems to be EI, I do a 20% WC once a month using Seachems full lineup and have been doing so for years with no ill results. So I can't see how using Thrive in moderation would be any different, as I remove plant mass I am removing excess nutrients from the tank...light + ferts = mass. Long as my TDS is in check, and nutrients are being consumed I find I can go much longer. If you skip a dose here and there it gives the tank a chance to baseline, you just have to watch it carefully and can not be done with all plant species. I have a very simple setup consisting of dwarf sag, java fern, and a third species I have no chosen yet...only other plants I have are growing out of the HOB filter (rabbits foot fern, creeping fig and pilea glauca).

Please try the spritz bottle, it works amazingly well and is super convenient. It dispenses a fine mist which prevents any fish or inverts from intercepting a cloud of fertilizer in such a small tank.

-
-
-
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 08:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

You can’t compare fluorish trace with Thrive, not even same type of product. FT is extra bump of quickly depleted low level micro to be used along side the main fluorish line and dosed on days in between dosing of main line.

The main fluorish line that would be comparable to Thrive is a 4 bottle system, fluorish comp+nitrogen+phosphorus+potassium.

Thrive kills Seachem on value front, way more concentrated for less money.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-10-2020, 05:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I would agree that Thrive is definitely a better value than Seachem line, but after using it for 8 months I am very disappointed in plant growth in my low-tech aquariums.
I have had much more issues with deficiencies and weak growth- especially in my larger aquariums- my 60 gallon and 180 gallon.
I dont know why this is the case, I just see the difference.

I went from Seachem NPK, Iron, Flourish, Advance to Thrive C.
Soon as my jug of Thrive C is gone will be going back to Seachem line.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode