Check my math, starting EI. - The Planted Tank Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Check my math, starting EI.

It’s time to switch to EI for my 20g!

Now, I have studied and read about EI but I’m still a little confused on the math. So I checked out GLA because those guys rock and I saw their EI package. I’m definitely going to order this from them. I know I need bottles and etc to mix it and dose it with. I’m just confused because GLAs website states the doses in teaspoons.

It says to dose:

1/4 teaspoon KNO4
1/16 KH204
1/16 K2S04
1/16 traces

3x a week each.

How do I figure out the math to translate this into ML?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 03:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2B2 View Post
Itís time to switch to EI for my 20g!

Now, I have studied and read about EI but Iím still a little confused on the math. So I checked out GLA because those guys rock and I saw their EI package. Iím definitely going to order this from them. I know I need bottles and etc to mix it and dose it with. Iím just confused because GLAs website states the doses in teaspoons.

It says to dose:

1/4 teaspoon KNO4
1/16 KH204
1/16 K2S04
1/16 traces

3x a week each.

How do I figure out the math to translate this into ML?

Thanks in advance!
Why not just dose in tsp?

Use this website:

https://rotalabutterfly.com/nutrient-calculator.php

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

My 30g (25g after learning how a tape measure works) Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 03:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Definitely use rotala butterfly. Gets rid of all maths basically.

ADA mini M low tech with Cherry Shrimp and Dwarf Puffers

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I guess that is a simple option. The answer, I see more people dose via liquid than dry, so I just was going with that mentality. I suppose my question should be, is there any benefit to one vs the other?

Also, thanks for the website link! I’ll check it out.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 01:02 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
When you use Rotala Butterfly you will be given the option for dosing dry or from a solution. You'll find that with a rich dosing scheme like EI you'll run into solubility issues with the K2SO4. To get around that just dose the balance of K that you don't get from the KNO3 and KH2PO4 for the entire week after the water change.

Planted S. Am. Waterbox 190 (141G dispaly w/sump & stand)
{new - in progress }
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the tip, if I’m reading this right, you’re saying only dose the two macros 3x a week, dose the micros 3x a week, and on Sundays(or end of week) perform a water change and add the entire weeks worth of k2so4? Then rinse and repeat.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 10:36 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

That's it. Alternately you could try to divide the K2SO4 between the two but the K will hang around forever and having there all week isn't a problem. Be sure to tally up the K contribution from the KNO3 and the KH2PO4 and then do "the result of my dose" for the amount of K2SO4 to makeup the K you need to finish up for the week. I've heard of folks that got confused and ended up dosing 8 weeks worth (or however long their bottle would last) every week. Not advisable.

{new - in progress }
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 11:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Honestly there is no huge benefit to dosing in liquid form for a 20 gallon tank that I know of. If you had a larger tank, it might give you a bit more consistency I suppose. But I just dose dry ferts straight into my tank. And from what I've been hearing on the forums you might consider dosing less of the traces and slowly increase the amount if you see deficiencies. That's my plan as I switch, because the traces are potentially dangerous in huge amounts. It's unlikely to get there following EI, but I'd rather depend on my plants showing me what they need, compared to assuming they will want higher levels of copper, or whatever. Some are even mixing their own micro formulas. Another 5 years and maybe someone on here will have developed a new micro mix for sale.

Christian, husband, brother, friend, hobbyist.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 12:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

I've been dosing EI for around 10 years and always pre-mix the three macros NPK in their dosing ratio to each other. There is no solubility issue. The only benefit to dosing dry is cost. The larger the tank the more the savings. I still use Seachem Flourish many times for my micros since it has a broader breadth of ferts than CSM+B.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 12:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by asteriod View Post
I've been dosing EI for around 10 years and always pre-mix the three macros NPK in their dosing ratio to each other. ...
Depends on the dose volume. If I go through the effort of making a solution I want it to last long enough to be worth my time before I need to make another one. YMMV

Edit: The OP probably wouldn't get into any solubility issues with a 20G water column, a 500ml solution volume and a dose of, say, 15ml. Apply the same dosing to a 100G tank, and a 15ml dose runs into marginal solubility (85+%) with the KNO3 alone. Even if you double the dose to to 30ml for the 100G tank the total solubility (NPK) goes to 105.9% of the capacity by my calculation.

{new - in progress }

Last edited by Cichlid-140; 10-25-2018 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Addendum
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 12:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cichlid-140 View Post
Depends on the dose volume. If I go through the effort of making a solution I want it to last long enough to be worth my time before I need to make another one. YMMV
Give me an example of a dose volume where you've seen a problem. I've dosed some pretty large volumes and have never seen a problem.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 01:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ya ninja'd me. See the edit to my previous post.

{new - in progress }
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 01:20 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Here's the screen shot from my spreadsheet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SS-100G.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	871277  

{new - in progress }
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 01:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Direct response to original post for anyone else who might google this thread:

I may have missed it, but I don't think anyone mentioned that google will do the math for you. Google has a pretty advanced set of calculators these days. You can convert almost any measurements using them.

If you want to know how many ml in a 1/4tsp, or whatever, just google "1/4tsp to ml" and it will give you a tool that directly does the math for you, just plug in the amount of tsps and it will tell you the ml.
DigityDog70 and Cichlid-140 like this.

Christian, husband, brother, friend, hobbyist.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 02:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cichlid-140 View Post
Here's the screen shot from my spreadsheet.
What am I exactly looking at. What is the source? Is this your tank? Most don't even dose K anymore since there's usually enough in the KNO3, but extra K really doesn't hurt anything.

It still amazes me how people get so caught up in the numbers for Macros. It's suppose to be "estimative" for Estimative Index. Even when you dose the same amount it's never used the same way based on ones setup since uptake changes day to day. Part of of the benefit of EI is many don't even test their water. That was/is one of the benefits of EI as set forth by Tom Barr.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode