Ca/Mg Dosing Ratio - The Planted Tank Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ca/Mg Dosing Ratio

Just purchased some Mangesium Sulfate/Calcium Sulfate, and need to make a batch 3:1 Ca/Mg. Just to make sure, for every tbsp of Mg, I add 3 tbsp of Ca. Correct? Sounds simple enough, just never mixed my own ferts before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 10:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (63/100%)
Hi @Igor95,

Regrettably it is not quite that easy. Most GH Boosters are based upon Tom Barr's formula which is done by weight (pounds, ounces, grams) and not by volume (cups, tablespoons, etc).

Quote:
Barrs GH Booster contains magnesium sulfate (1 part), calcium sulfate (3 parts) and potassium sulfate (3 parts) by weight. It is an excellent water conditioner. If there are difficulties with solubility you can add a very small amount (1 tsp to 500 ml water) of cider vinegar to increase solubility
Most of use don't have kitchen scales but if you do they will work. If you do it by volume you should be fine with 3 parts calcium sulfate (CaSO4*2H2O) plus one part magnesium sulfate (Epsom Salt / MgSO4*7H2O) it should provide you with a mixture that will provide the following:

If dosed at one (1) level teaspoon per 8 gallons
Ca = 14.3 ppm
Mg = 3.32 ppm

and it will increase the hardness by 2.77 dGH

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1XFluval F&P 2.0; 45 Gallon Tall, 96Watt AH Supply CF 6700K; 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 and (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 12:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor95 View Post
Just purchased some Mangesium Sulfate/Calcium Sulfate, and need to make a batch 3:1 Ca/Mg. Just to make sure, for every tbsp of Mg, I add 3 tbsp of Ca. Correct? Sounds simple enough, just never mixed my own ferts before.
A 3:1 ratio is about 2:1 Ca to Mg in actual dosing.

But better yet is to learn how to use either the Rotalabutterfly or Zorfox calculators. Will answer this question and many, many others.
Blacktetra likes this.

------------------

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

@Seattle_Aquarist, thank you. @Greggz, why does it come out to 2:1 in actual dosing? As for Rotalabutterfly calculators, I do use them. I just never used em to make my own macros/micros.
Greggz likes this.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 02:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
@Seattle_Aquarist, thank you. @Greggz, why does it come out to 2:1 in actual dosing? As for Rotalabutterfly calculators, I do use them. I just never used em to make my own macros/micros.
Simple.

100G tank.

Ca at 15 ppm is approximately 8 tsp.

Mg at 5 ppm is about 4 tsp.

3:1 PPM, 2:1 actual measurement.

Rough figures. Close enough for our purposes.

Understanding the calculators is worth the trouble. Just takes a little time and dedication, then makes perfect sense.

------------------
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ahh, I see now. You meant it's 2:1 measurement wise. I'm playing with the calculators right now, but I think I got it for the most part. I can mix it at the given ratios, the problem I'm trying to understand now is the dosing after it's mixed. What would the dosages look like for a 75G if I do it at 3:1 ratio. That's all that confuses me at this point.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 05:30 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (118/100%)
On the calculator down at the bottom where it says "calculating for" change EI to "dose to reach a target"

Enter 15 ppm for Ca -or whatever ppm you're trying to hit - and 5 for mg
Blacktetra and Igor95 like this.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 12:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

Depends on the source. My CaSO4 is a power, my MgSO4 is granular. My dosing is roughly 1:1 of each by volume, but it gives me the 3:1 ratio of actual Ca:Mg.

A $20 scale from amazon is worth every penny. Even without a scale, for our purposes getting roughly Ca and Mg to the right levels is fine with measuring spoons.
Blacktetra likes this.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 03:00 PM
Algae Grower

how often do you dose MG and Ca?

Frank
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 03:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High View Post
how often do you dose MG and Ca?
Most people dose once a week, right after doing a water change.

Blue Moon Rising!!!

My Journal -

(Retired)
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm dosing GH Booster 3 tbsp after wc. My problem is that I'm adding too much K. With everything added, I'm getting close to 40K weekly. The tank isn't planted enough imo.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 04:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I'm dosing GH Booster 3 tbsp after wc. My problem is that I'm adding too much K. With everything added, I'm getting close to 40K weekly. The tank isn't planted enough imo.
In my limited experience, you only get excess K if you don't have enough plant mass, like you suspect.

Especially if the K is from your GH booster. You might check your GH levels too, as they may be considerably higher than your tap water if you are seeing excess K.

So long as we're on the topic, is anyone recommending dosing these Ca/Mg ferts over just buying some GH booster product? I've had a container of Equilibrium that I've not finished for probably 4 years now, and it saves me the step of combining multiple macros. Though I can understand a desire to have complete control on your fert dosing.

Christian, husband, brother, friend, hobbyist.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

@Blacktetra, GH levels from tap are 2 along with KH. I have no test kit for K, but I'm positive I'm getting a lot of accumulative K since the plant mass isn't there to take it all in. That's why I'm trying to mix my own Ca/Mg mix.
Blacktetra likes this.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 05:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktetra View Post
So long as we're on the topic, is anyone recommending dosing these Ca/Mg ferts over just buying some GH booster product?
Yes MgSO4 and CaSO4 are all you need. Every GH booster is basically a combination of those and K.

If you take it a step further and get a Ca test kit, you can get a good idea of your Mg and ratio based on your GH. Just saying tap could have lots of one, but little of the other, so you can dose more/less of each to get whatever ratio you are shooting for.
Blacktetra and MCFC like this.

------------------
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 06:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post

If you take it a step further and get a Ca test kit, you can get a good idea of your Mg and ratio based on your GH. Just saying tap could have lots of one, but little of the other, so you can dose more/less of each to get whatever ratio you are shooting for.
Recommendations on a decent Ca test kit? I'm interested....

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode