Just got Equilibrium..... Lost - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By dukydaf

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Just got Equilibrium..... Lost

Hey guys. I was recommended to get Seachem Equilibrium for my 125 which looked to have a calcium and magnesium deficiency.

I have no clue what my gh and kh levels are. I also am really unsure of how much and when I need to dose this. Assuming during water changes?

Any detailed information would be great. I'll try to provide whatever info is needed. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Finnex 36" Planted Plus 24/7 SE for sale!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 04:22 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
You should get the gh/kh liquid test kit from API. This will let you know what your tank parameters are regarding those 2 readings. Then you’ll use that info to determine how much equilibrium to add to get to the necessary gh. As far as I know, equilibrium only effects gh. To change kh you’ll need to use something like crushed coral. Hope this helps!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Got one on the way. Will report back here when it arrives and I test!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 06:05 AM
Algae Grower

I believe Seachem also has a product that changes kh, but it's not the same thing as Equilibrium.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just got the test done.

Kh took 10 drops - 100-200 ppm

Gh took 7 drops - 100-200 ppm

I tested my tank water. So does this mean I didn't really need the equilibrium?

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2018, 02:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi Aparker2005,

The dGH measures calcium plus magnesium divalent metals; unfortunately we do not know how much of that 7.0 dGH is calcium and how much is magnesium. There may be insufficient calciium due to excessive magnesium, or there may be another issue that is effecting the uptake of calcium by your plants. Excess ammonium, magnesium, or phosphates can impede the uptake of calcium. I have found that first trying to increase the suspected nutrient deficiency is easier that guessing what other issues may be impeding uptake of a nutrient. Dosing the Equilibrium for a few weeks and watching how the new leaves emerge and respond seems like a simple way to test for the potential issue.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-14-2018, 09:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aparker2005 View Post
Just got the test done.

Kh took 10 drops - 100-200 ppm

Gh took 7 drops - 100-200 ppm

I tested my tank water. So does this mean I didn't really need the equilibrium?

How are the levels coming from the tap /water used for water change?

If the GH levels are similar from tap, I would say you do not need additional Seachem Equilibrium dosing. With 'natural' waters having a GH of 7, it is extremely unlikely that you will have insufficient Mg or insufficient Ca.

Quote:
Excess ammonium, magnesium, or phosphates can impede the uptake of calcium. I have found that first trying to increase the suspected nutrient deficiency is easier that guessing what other issues may be impeding uptake of a nutrient.
Is this based on a study in aquatic plants? In my opinion, if one has excess ammonium in one's tanks, enough to make Ca uptake problematic, one has bigger problems.
mbkemp and Asteroid like this.

On hiatus till later this year

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode