Acidic water, co2, acid neutralizers and KH - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Acidic water, co2, acid neutralizers and KH

Assuming one has a water supply that is extremely acidic, around 4.5, due to dissolved CO2 perhaps, and they get an acid neutralizer containing calcite or corosex media...

Does this raise the KH?

If so, how would one remove the dissolved CO2 without affecting the KH?

Using buffers and pH adjusters causes the water to have a KH of 30+ degrees, which is unacceptable for fish. Would it be any different using a neutralizer?

Thanks

Last edited by cds333; 10-04-2018 at 05:32 AM. Reason: to change the text and/or topic of the post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 08:12 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
I have really acid water. It's a shallow dug well in the basement. Not a lot of dissolved CO2 as that evaporates out easily since the cover is just a big wooden top laying over the old masonry. Adding calcium raises the GH but doesn't mess with the KH much. My water is very soft nearly RO water. I have to use silly amounts of GH booster to keep the plants from showing deficiencies. Sometimes I use just Calcium sulfate and epsom salt to keep the potassium from getting too high.

If you need to kick the KH up a little baking soda works fine.

I'm assuming I'm acid because the main rock here is granite which is a bit acid and the water is coming from a boggy woods. It's not deep water but it's wonderful to drink. Better than most bottle water.

CO2 wants to be a gas. It evaporates. Don't make it hard. This is supposed to be fun.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 10:43 PM
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Assuming one has a water supply that is extremely acidic, around 4.5, due to dissolved CO2 perhaps, and they get an acid neutralizer containing calcite or corosex media...

Does this raise the KH?
If CO2 is he primary cause of the low ph KH and GH would rise. The COW would cause the carbonates in the calcite and crossed to dissolve but wound not change the minerals chemically.

IF the low PH is not caused by SO but something else like sulfuric acid than KH would drop and GH would increase.This is because the carbonates in calcite and corset are converted to calcium and magnesium sulfate wichare water soluble.

Quote:
If so, how would one remove the dissolved CO2 without affecting the KH?
The best way to remove CO2 is to simply lets the excess gas evaporate An air stone in a bucket can accelerate the process. This should not affect KH or GH.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode