Flourish as micros? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Flourish as micros?

I've been thinking of switching to flourish comp for my EI micros. I currently use AquariumPlantFoodUK's trace mix but I seem to constantly be encountering micro deficiencies.

Has anyone has success with flourish instead of CSM or other trace mixes? Flourish has a higher ratio of iron to other micros than my current trace mix.

Could I just dose flourish up to EI levels with no problems?

Here is my current vs flourish EI on Rotalabutterfly:

Cheers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ADA mini M low tech with Cherry Shrimp and Dwarf Puffers

Last edited by oscarlloydjohn; 09-30-2018 at 08:20 PM. Reason: add image
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 10:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
What is your pH, and how often do you dose micros?

The issue with Flourish comprehensive is that it uses Ferrous gluconate which doesn't last in the water column for very long.

If your pH ever gets above 7, I'd highly recommend picking up DTPA Fe and dose that in addition to Trace or some other micro mix (if you find one that uses DTPA, that might be even better). pH of 6.5 and below should be fine with standard CSM+B assuming you get a decent enough mix (I make a gallon at a time to ensure a good mix...).
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 12:33 AM
Banned

Given the choice between the two fertilizers I would not pick Sachem. Main reasons for me is the very low levels of copper and zinc. I am using RO water which has no copper and zinc. Tap water typically has a lot of copper due to copper pipes and zinc is probably also present.

Also For a given amount of iron in a plant you will Mn at 50% of iron and Zinc and Boron would be at 20%. Cu would be about 6. and Ni and Mo would be at 1%. So the aquarium plant food is in my opinion more balanced than Sachem. Both are deficient in Nickel but the amounts need are so small fish food waste probably contains enough and tap will always have a little. Aquarium plant food is also deficient in Chlorine (chloride)But tap water is typically chlorinated so some chlorides should be present.

However there may be bigger differences in the types of ingredients (which you haven't listed. Some iron ingredients are sensitive to pH and others like gluconate just don't last long.

Quote:
I currently use AquariumPlantFoodUK's trace mix but I seem to constantly be encountering micro deficiencies.
What deficiency symptoms are you seeing. Typically macro deficiencies are more common than problem. Also what is your PH, GH, and KH. Your problem might not be what you think it is.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Flourish as micros?

Quote:
Originally Posted by natemcnutty View Post
What is your pH, and how often do you dose micros?

The issue with Flourish comprehensive is that it uses Ferrous gluconate which doesn't last in the water column for very long.

If your pH ever gets above 7, I'd highly recommend picking up DTPA Fe and dose that in addition to Trace or some other micro mix (if you find one that uses DTPA, that might be even better). pH of 6.5 and below should be fine with standard CSM+B assuming you get a decent enough mix (I make a gallon at a time to ensure a good mix...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf View Post
Given the choice between the two fertilizers I would not pick Sachem. Main reasons for me is the very low levels of copper and zinc. I am using RO water which has no copper and zinc. Tap water typically has a lot of copper due to copper pipes and zinc is probably also present.

Also For a given amount of iron in a plant you will Mn at 50% of iron and Zinc and Boron would be at 20%. Cu would be about 6. and Ni and Mo would be at 1%. So the aquarium plant food is in my opinion more balanced than Sachem. Both are deficient in Nickel but the amounts need are so small fish food waste probably contains enough and tap will always have a little. Aquarium plant food is also deficient in Chlorine (chloride)But tap water is typically chlorinated so some chlorides should be present.

However there may be bigger differences in the types of ingredients (which you haven't listed. Some iron ingredients are sensitive to pH and others like gluconate just don't last long.

What deficiency symptoms are you seeing. Typically macro deficiencies are more common than problem. Also what is your PH, GH, and KH. Your problem might not be what you think it is.

I'm dosing micro 3x per week

The AquariumPlantFood trace uses EDTA iron, So I also add about 0.15ppm of DTPA iron alongside the trace mix. My pH is around 7.6 degassed, 6.7 with CO2.

I found that my java fern and Hygrophila were pale and slightly deformed at the tips, despite plenty of calcium.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 05:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Do you mean .15ppm Fe? 1.5ppm is a lot of Fe and could be inducing a Mn deficiency. What micro deficiency are you seeing?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 05:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by natemcnutty View Post
Do you mean .15ppm Fe? 1.5ppm is a lot of Fe and could be inducing a Mn deficiency. What micro deficiency are you seeing?

Yes, sorry! I meant 0.15 ppm. I added those pictures to the last post which show it. I thought it was Mg but adding some to water change water hasn't helped.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 08:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

I don't see why not, the micro nutrient levels listed are similar and the Flourish has a larger variety. Only way to really find out is to experiment.

Have you noticed any precipitation problems while using CSM+B in your tank?

Tags
csm+b, flourish, micro, micronutrients, trace

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode