Working on a 75 gallon and wanting a heavily planted tank that thrives.
Had aquariums for some time with a break in between but planted in a whole new world for me and i'm learning everything as I go.
Currently running the following :
- 75 Gallon
- Fluval Fx4 Filter
- Fluval 406 Filter
- Hagen 2.0 Planted LED
- Recently added pressurized Co2
- Just started dosing with Thrive+ (should have bought thrive but didn't know the difference at the time)
I feel I have a pretty good handle on my tank, currently reading parameters multiple times a week so I know exactly what i'm adding to the tank (this led me to dosing with Thrive) as previously I wasn't aware of the lack of nutrients due to using RO water only. I started to use Equilibrium and buffer dGH and dKH with Seachem products and now learnt thrive will top that whole process off properly.
My current 75 Gallon tank parameters after today's 50% water change (routinely doing on avg 30% a week)
- Ammonia : 0
- Nitrite : 0
- Nitrate : 40 (Odd as I expected this to be less, will show API test kit value in photo)
- PH : 7.3
- GH (ppm) : 180
- KH (ppm) : 100
- TDS : 458
My concern and just want to be sure i'm on the right track since Co2 and Thrive dosing are both new within the last two weeks.
I have yet to see many signs my tank is accepting the changes i'm making overly positive.
- Valesenaria is melted and won't grow (I have 2 plants 'somewhat starting' after adding root tabs
- Crypt is doing well with 2 new leaves and a much sproutier plant
- Anubius is hanging in there and seems to be on the up but quite slow which is it's nature
- Hornroot showed great growth 2 weeks ago vs some pictures i had but this week looks weak / brown
- Water Wysteria - Hard to tell as my Blood Parrot and angelfish ate it all off, although lots of the plants have good white roots on them
- Amazon Sword - Good growth with new leaves but kind of wilty looking, not overly crisp / strong looking
What I'm currently doing is using 25 Gallons of RO water and 3 gallons of TAP water, then adding in some Equilibrium to add the necessary Calcium / Magnesium, then adjust the buffer with Seachem Alcaline / Acid buffer so it has a reading of approx ;
Ammonia : 0 // Nitrite : 0 // Nitrate : 0 // PH : 7.5 // GH : 30 // KH : 80 // TDS : 30
I then add this to my Aquarium which after today's 50% water change is listed above at the start of this post.
At this point I can now dose with Thrive to make sure my tank has the necessary nutrients. This part is new to me so I am staying on the low side of the dose with approx 10 ML for 75 Gallons and going to dose twice per week. Recommended if I understand correctly is 2ML per 10 gallons which would be 14 ML or just under 3 teaspoons per week (x2 for med with 30% water change or x3 a week for hitech tankand 50% water change.
I should add in my TAP water Parameters as well :
- Ammonia : 0
- Nitrite : 0
- Nitrate : 0
- PH : 7.8
- GH (ppm) : 180
- KH (ppm) : 240
- TDS : 720
Correct me if I'm wrong, I feel like adding to the RO is better than fighting with a bad quality tap source that changes regularly. Lost a number of fish on a sloppy tap water change on two occasions now.
My tank is not 'failing' but it is not 'thriving' either, fish are happy, water is clear, plants are growing although slow or in some cases stunted. With dosing (just starting) and co2 (last 2 weeks or so) I feel I should be seing a better response.
Thoughts / comments are welcome, really wanting this to succeed and have success on it.
I'll follow up adding some photos of what I noted above.
Water Parameters for my 75 Gallon :
Ammonia Left / Nitrates Right (Oddly enough, Nitrates are still 40 ppm approx after my 50% water change)
CO2 Drop checker in the Green :
Current Tank Photo (Sept 30th, 2018) :
During Water Change :
Crypt that has perked up and doing much better since I gave extra TLC :
Amazon Sword (Growing buy weak / wilty looking) big leaf with defects was from the store i bought from since the start.
Hornroot - Little brown and weak looking vs last week which seemed full and green
Melted Valesenaria - all plants are the same (roughly 10 of them)
Updated post with working photo links... My appologies as I thought they were there but public did not have access.