2Likes
  • 1 Post By JeremyDMeyer76
  • 1 Post By Surf

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Calcite and Corosex for remineralization

Let's just say I have major trust issues with my municipal water source and want to avoid using it in my tanks at all cause.

I've been reading about a few people having good luck using remineralizer cartridges on the output of their ro systems. I saw where one person was using (2) Omnipure (K2551) and was getting water with ph 7.2, 6-7Gh, 3-4Kh.

Too me this seems like a convenient solution to getting proper water directly from an RO unit without having to do any extra mixing.

I've done a few searches here and haven't ran across anyone using it.

Does anyone have any experience with remineralizing RO water like this?

Taking it another step farther it looks like these cartridges are simply filled with calcite and corosex at a 50:50 ratio.

Let's just say we could get those raw components. Could they simply be added to a refillable canister like we use for DI resin?

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
diverjoe likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 06:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyDMeyer76 View Post
I've been reading about a few people having good luck using remineralizer cartridges on the output of their ro systems. I saw where one person was using (2) Omnipure (K2551) and was getting water with ph 7.2, 6-7Gh, 3-4Kh.
Do you have a link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyDMeyer76 View Post
Taking it another step farther it looks like these cartridges are simply filled with calcite and corosex at a 50:50 ratio.
http://www.omnipure.com/DataSheets/K25/K2551_GAC.pdf -> 1/2 GAC carbon, 1/2 CaCO3 Calcite
https://www.snowpure.com/docs/clack-corosex-media.pdf -> MgO Magnesium oxide

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 08:05 PM
Banned

calcite and corosex appear to be just calcium and magnesium carbonates. These minerals are almost completely insoluble in water with a PH of 7 or higher. The main ingredient in concrete used on road and construction projects is primarily calcium carbonate and doesn't visibly dissolve away.

They only dissolve in acidic water. Tap water normally has some CO2 in it which will not be removed by the RO filter. The CO2 will make the RO water slightly acidic and carbonates will start to dissolve. How much though depends on how much CO2 is in your tap water..

You might get lucky hand get6-7Gh, 3-4Kh. Or you might get a GH and KH of 1 or you could end up with very hard water.. When the carbonates neutralize the acid the water PH will naturally stabilizes at 7. So no mater what your GH and KH ends up being you will always see a PH of about 7 coming out of the filter. So there is no way to know what your GH and KH will be before you install the filter.

You can use a refillable filter and put whatever media in it you want in it. So you could empty out a DI filter and put in calcite and Corosex. However if you do fill the filter with 3 parts calcite to one part Corosex. A few once of the mix will probably last a long time. Plants need about 3 times more calcium than magnesium. A 50 : 50 ratio might cause intermittent calcium deficiency which will affect plant growth. A few once of the mix will probably last a long time. commercial GH boosters are made from Calcium / Magnesium chloride or sulfate which dissolve easily in water but provide no KH.

This Wikipedia page has some basic information on solubility and PH effects of calcium carbonate. Magnesium carbonate will have similar effects.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcium_carbonate
JeremyDMeyer76 likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode