Adding/mixing RO Water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Adding/mixing RO Water

I know some of you use RO water to get softer water.
Question is, what are your methods to get the RO water into your tank? Please include detailed steps as how to do this. I'm sick of LA tap!

Update pics, 9/25/04 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp Club #49, 2028, 2215, surface extractor, autofeeder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 05:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have a 80g container in my garage that my RO filter pumps into overnight. Prior to turning on the RO unit I fill it 1/2 way up with tap water. I then turn on a powerhead that constantly agitates the surface area (to get all the gases, etc, out over night as well), and add Prime at the same time. By morning (or after work the next day) it is filled up with 1/2 tap and 1/2 RO.

I then have a Rio pump with hosing attached to it that I fill up my tank with. Heaters are also essential if it is kept in the garage (like mine).

Cliff
450g Planted Discus Tank - Work in Process!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

This was a method that I strongly thought about.

What is the PH out of your tap, and what is it after the 50/50 mix?

Also, my RO unit is attached to the faucet and the fridge. Where would I have to cut so that I can get the water to the container? I was thinking about cutting the line that goes to the faucet and use a Y connector with valves to control the flow. You know where I can find a 1/4" valve?

Update pics, 9/25/04 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 12:10 PM
Planted Member

Send a message via MSN to Crs2fr
i do all my water changes with city water, and it top off with RO, I pick it up at the LFS. I have a Tunze osmomat that tops off my water from a 5gal bucket under my tank~.. i just fill the bucket~.. the tank stays at a constant level. <<no lid

chris

"Born to fish, Forced to work"

72gal Bowfront -(FW), 2215 Ehiem w/surface skimmer, Coralife Compact Fluorescent - 2-55 watt 6700K /2-65 watt 10000k(3.6w/gal), Tunze Osmomat 5024, Tunze CO2 Regulator 7077/2,Tunze CO2 Diffuser 7074.50
My
2 Native Bluegills (male&fem), 2 Sterbi Corys, 1 Royal Line Pleaco, 1 Rubber Lip Pleaco, 1 SAE
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 01:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pphx459
This was a method that I strongly thought about.

What is the PH out of your tap, and what is it after the 50/50 mix?

Also, my RO unit is attached to the faucet and the fridge. Where would I have to cut so that I can get the water to the container? I was thinking about cutting the line that goes to the faucet and use a Y connector with valves to control the flow. You know where I can find a 1/4" valve?
my tap water is 8.5 or so coming out of the tap, but it falls quickly over night. I think the 24 hour later pH is 7.2. The RO water doesnt really help the pH that much (or KH since it is 1 here anyway). I just use RO water because of all the other crap in the tap water system (TDS's, Chloramine, etc). 1/2 crap is better than all crap

Home Depot should have the 1/4" valves in the plumbing section (they also keep RO units there). However, I think I had a RO tube not fit in one of theirs before, so test it out prior to cutting any vital lines, if possible. Make sure your container isn't too far away from the RO unit though. The further it has to push the water the slower the output will be. the same goes for any Ups and Downs in the tubing on the way. No matter which way you go, do your research first and make sure that everything is compatible with the setup you are aiming for!

Cliff
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 07:35 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I use a 50/50 mix of ro an tap water I get ro from one of those ro station by my home 1.00 for 5 gallons. The little station is service daily.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 12:22 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
My mix is slightly more RO than tap.

I mix it all the night before in a 32G trash can and pump it up into the aquarium after draining out the water change water.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the info. I just doubled checked the r/o system that is under the sink and it leads to a small drum. What is that drum used for? Also, I just read taht for every 1 gallon of r/o water, 4 gallons are wasted. Where does this water go?

Update pics, 9/25/04 -

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 02:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

the wasted water should have a tube running either to your sink drainage or outside somewhere. Mine just runs into my ally. If you ever consider keeping Cichlids or other fish that like Hard water, you can run the waste line to a 2nd bucket/container and use that when doing water changes... hard water fish love it!

Cliff
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 12:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pphx459
Thanks for the info. I just doubled checked the r/o system that is under the sink and it leads to a small drum. What is that drum used for? Also, I just read taht for every 1 gallon of r/o water, 4 gallons are wasted. Where does this water go?
That drum is the storage tank that has a floater valve so it stops when full of purified water. Extra water goes down the drain.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the information. Do you think I can direct the line into a large container instead of the drum? What happens when the drum is empty? No more water to drink, etc? The reason I ask is because after I fill up couple gallons of water from the sink, the drum becomes empty and the flow is greatly reduced.

Also, since I'm going to do a 50% water change soon, should I just fill the tank with pure r/o water since the remaining is hard tap water? Then the next week that I do a water change, I will just have to fill up with 50/50 water?

Update pics, 9/25/04 -

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode