Tapwater pH 7.8, otos require 7.5 or less - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tapwater pH 7.8, otos require 7.5 or less

Hi, everyone.

I have a new, heavily planted tank (4 weeks, ammonia 0 ppm, nitrites 0 ppm, nitrates 40 ppm) and I have 6 otocinclus, 2 guppies and a nerite snail, all added over the last 14 days, never more than 3 fish at a time. I've been using Prime and Stability.

But my concern is that both my tapwater and my aquarium water show a pH of 7.8. That's within range for everything but the otocinclus, for which 7.5 is the top end. I plan to add some driftwood for both esthetic purposes and to lower ph, but I'm worried that if it goes down, water changes will make the pH fluctuate. I'm also worried that if it doesn't go down, the otos won't thrive. Any suggestions, for either scenario?

Thanks!

Johnny Relentless, Marina, CA

Tanks: 2 low tech nano tanks, 2.5 gal each

Lighting: 9 watt LED, 6500k

Plants: Wisteria, Pogostemon stelatus octopus, ludgwiga repens, ludwiga needle leaf, cabomba furcata, rotala rotundifolia, bacapo caroliniana, Pygmy chain sword, Anubius bernatali nana, Dwarf sag, Java moss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 06:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Nothing to worry about

Otos will be fine at 7.8, and the drop in pH from driftwood will be pretty minimal for a decent size tank. In addition to that, water changes will only split the difference, so if the pH lowers to 7.4, you'll only be going from 7.4 to 7.6 if you do a 50% water change.

Without getting too technical, it's really stable KH that you are looking for. pH was always used as a proxy for KH. pH lowering from tannins is due to a weak acid, similar to carbonic acid. I swing 1.2 pH every day from CO2 injection with no affect to livestock, and there are many others here who do the same.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 06:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
If the otocinclus are still alive at two weeks, I would say you are fine .They are still mostly wild caught fishes that either do or don't perform well and let you know fairly soon.
They do however need plenty of biofilm such as might form on the driftwood mentioned along with the,glass,substrate,rocks,plant leaves.
Vegetable matter,and or pellet foods for herbivores also appreciated.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the answers. It's a relief to know I don't have to worry about it too much. Besides the plants and pool sand substrate, there is also lava rock in the tank, and 2 sponge filters to add to the surface for biofilm to accumulate on.

Johnny Relentless, Marina, CA

Tanks: 2 low tech nano tanks, 2.5 gal each

Lighting: 9 watt LED, 6500k

Plants: Wisteria, Pogostemon stelatus octopus, ludgwiga repens, ludwiga needle leaf, cabomba furcata, rotala rotundifolia, bacapo caroliniana, Pygmy chain sword, Anubius bernatali nana, Dwarf sag, Java moss
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 07:01 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
No worries about the pH.
Given that the tank is new, I would add blanched zucchini or romaine lettuce and or algae wafers to keep the ottos well fed.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 12:33 PM
Algae Grower

My otos are quite happy at a pH of 8. They will probably never breed at that pH, but they're very active and social.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 02:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Have multiple happy, healthy otos that are 3+ years old in a tank that runs 8.2-8.4. My kh is 18, so I pretty much couldn't adjust my ph if I tried. Surprisingly, MOST fish I have tried, including the otos (and angels, rams, a variety of tetras, etc.), have done just fine.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode