Without adding CO2, how to have med-low kH and neutral pH - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Without adding CO2, how to have med-low kH and neutral pH

Hello,
I am trying to set up a small shrimp tank with only 2 plants and 3 shrimps. For my cherry and Amano shrimp, the suggested water parameters are dkH 3-6 and pH 7+/-. Initially, I hope to not need to inject CO2. But when I look at the kH/pH/CO2 chart, I assume I am supposed to use the equilibrium dissolved CO2 value of 3ppm . This results in a pH in the mid-upper 7's.

Is there a way to have a slightly buffered system, with pH right around 7, but still maintain some kH? On the other hand, I am not sure how important kH is. There is this popular shrimp substrate called Stratum that buffers to slightly below 7, but I think takes out the kH in the process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 07:37 PM
Algae Grower

So you intend to use RO water? If no, what are the TDS, KH, GH, and pH values of your tap water?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

RO water plus Salty Shrimp gH kH remineralizer plus potasium bicarbonate, so I can make gH kH whatever I want.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 07:23 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
RO water plus Salty Shrimp gH kH remineralizer plus potasium bicarbonate, so I can make gH kH whatever I want.

I haven't used Salty Shrimp, but Amanos and RCS are very hardy; I think a pH in the low 7s is just fine for them. I would avoid trying to lower the pH, through buffering, unless I have specific fish or shrimp that need softer, lower pH water.

That said, any buffering soil (I use Amazonia in my high-tech planted shrimp/fish tank) will reduce pH (until it becomes exhausted, of course), as will driftwood and almond leaves. KH will be lowered slightly, but not by much (at least, in my experience). YMMV.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode