dosing iron and phosphate - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Frank158

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
dosing iron and phosphate

Read this on another thread and decided to not take over the original poster's thread and make a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi @The Algae Farm,

Welcome to TPT!

Yes, based upon our discussions @Cyano is dosing macros two days a week and micros on different days two days a week. I believe the two nutrients that you are referring to are iron (in the CSM+B) and phosphate (in the KH2PO4) which if dosed at the same time will form iron phosphate and be unavailable to plants. It stands to reason if we make iron and phosphate unavailable to our plants then growth is likely to be affected.
I've read about not dosing kh2po4 and csm+b at the same time but I always thought it referred to people who dump the dry ferts in their tank. I think I read somewhere that doing that the precipitate will not dissolve.

I mix my dry ferts in a jar (kno3 and the kh2po4) together dump it in the tank then mix the csm+b in a jar and dump it in the tank. Both jars are fully dissolved.

Should I not do that?

Very curious to know. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 09:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi Frank158,

My Mom went to college in Winnipeg; she was a chemistry major!

No, you should not do that. When the KH2PO4 is added to water it forms phosphoric acid and potassium hydroxide. If there is any phosphoric acid (H2PO4-) still in solution when the CSM+B is added then the ferric (Fe2+) ions in the ETDA chelated iron will bond with the phosphate to form FePO4.

CSM+B is not the best source of iron for many aquariums. If there is an abundance of calcium in water the iron will readily bond with the calcium molecules. At low pH levels (i.e. 6.0) the iron in CSM+B is readily available to plants however it drops off rapidly such that at a pH 6.5 only 50% of the iron is available and at pH 7.5 only 2.5% is available to plants. Most of my planted tanks are acidic but I have one that tends to be about [email protected] In all of my tanks I dose about half my iron as CSM+B (mostly for the other micronutrients) and half my iron as ferrous gluconate (as found in Seachem Flourish Iron).

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

That is so cool about your Mom going to school here.

Okay I think I understood what you wrote but have one follow up question. Does waiting 24 hr to dose the CMS+B remedy all that in regards to iron? Or should I still supplement with the Seachem Iron?

How much would you say I should dose the Seachem Iron in a 200L tank. Medium lighting/EI dosing and CO2 is added.

Cheers

edit: forgot to mention substrate is seachem flourite black sand, if that make a difference to the iron

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 10:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi @Frank158,

After 24 hours the phosphoric acid will have 'broken down' and bonded with other positive cations in the water so there will be none of the iron to bond onto. The issue with pH and iron availability of EDTA chelated iron (like in CSM+B) does not change however.

I tend to dose my iron higher than some (no shrimp tanks) but not as high as others with 0.7 ppm added weekly (or 0.35 2X per week). I have measured the water volume in my tanks with about 2" of substrate I find my actual water volume is about 20% lower than the stated "tank size". In that case a 200 liter aquarium would have a water volume of about 160 liters, dosing Seachem Flourish Iron to reach 0.7 ppm of Fe would require 11 ml (about 2 teaspoons) in that tank.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

@Seattle_Aquarist

Thanks!
Seattle_Aquarist likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode