• 1 Post By brothermichigan
  • 2 Post By Edward
  • 1 Post By Maryland Guppy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Purigen or Clarity

I heard only good things about both. I will buy any one of them. Few questions are to decide:

1) If both clarity and purigen are safe to use in planted tanks?

2) Do they affect the buffering capacity of substrate or took out any liquid fertilizers we add to tank?

3) Do purigen need to be strictly put inside filter? Or can it be placed in a bag somewhere in the tank?

4) Do purigen comes with a bag or need to buy bag separately?

5) Last but not the least, which one you recommend? Which is more effective?

Please reply? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 02:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Never used Clarity so can't speak for it.

As for Purigen, I've used it for many years, 24/7, mainly in planted discus tanks, and I can't imagine how you could improve on it for producing unbelievable water clarity, and truly superb water quality based on all the undesirable elements it regularly adsorbs.
I swear by it and wouldn't use anything else (after trying a couple of other products said to produce the same results).

And Purigen, based on my experience, has never removed ferts or other essential natural needs of plants, nor has it had any effect on altering appropriate GH and KH levels in a tank.

Never tried this, but I believe Purigen can be somewhat effective simply being placed in a bag somewhere in the tank, but not nearly as effective as being placed within a filter with a good water flow moving through it for best adsorption, which is how you're supposed to use it.

You can buy Purigen in bags, or by loose beads by the jar that you can bag yourself in an appropriately-sized fine mesh bag.
As I've said, I've not used Clarity, but I don't see how anything can improve on what Purigen can do.

The name "Clarity" by definition tells me what it's main purpose is.
Maryland Guppy, nel and 64D-1701 like this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 11:55 AM
nel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
Never used Clarity so can't speak for it.

As for Purigen, I've used it for many years, 24/7, mainly in planted discus tanks, and I can't imagine how you could improve on it for producing unbelievable water clarity, and truly superb water quality based on all the undesirable elements it regularly adsorbs.
I swear by it and wouldn't use anything else (after trying a couple of other products said to produce the same results).

And Purigen, based on my experience, has never removed ferts or other essential natural needs of plants, nor has it had any effect on altering appropriate GH and KH levels in a tank.

Never tried this, but I believe Purigen can be somewhat effective simply being placed in a bag somewhere in the tank, but not nearly as effective as being placed within a filter with a good water flow moving through it for best adsorption, which is how you're supposed to use it.

You can buy Purigen in bags, or by loose beads by the jar that you can bag yourself in an appropriately-sized fine mesh bag.
As I've said, I've not used Clarity, but I don't see how anything can improve on what Purigen can do.

The name "Clarity" by definition tells me what it's main purpose is.

I agree with every word. I would add one more thing. Purigen is CHEAP. You can reuse it nearly infinitely by bleaching it. I have the same batch of purigen for 2.5 years now and it still works in the same way. So maybe starting price is a bit high, but it will last you eternity.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 120x48x60 cm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 30x30x30 cm + 30x30x20 cm,
- 33x21x22 cm

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 01:00 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashif314 View Post

1) If both clarity and purigen are safe to use in planted tanks?
Yep, both are fine.

Quote:
2) Do they affect the buffering capacity of substrate or took out any liquid fertilizers we add to tank?
Purigen will not remove any fertilizers from the water column and I don't see how it could affect the buffering capacity of your substrate. Neither is a problem with Clarity either (see my last statement below.)

Quote:
3) Do purigen need to be strictly put inside filter? Or can it be placed in a bag somewhere in the tank?
Purigen should be placed in the filter since it really needs water flowing through it in order for it to do its job.

Quote:
4) Do purigen comes with a bag or need to buy bag separately?
You can buy Purigen loose or in a sealed bag. The sealed bag is sized for tanks up to 100 gallons but can be placed in filters down to something the size of something like an Aquaclear 30 or small canister filters. If you buy it loose, make sure you get a bag with a fine enough mesh size or the Purigen will "leak" out of the bag and get everywhere, possibly causing problems with pumps and the like. Seachem's "The Bag" works well. I've also had success with Boyd Enterprises chemi-bags.

Quote:
5) Last but not the least, which one you recommend? Which is more effective?
The two products treat different issues; one is not an alternative to the other. Purigen is designed to help remove dissolved organics from the water (improving water quality) while Clarity is a flocculent that helps small particles suspended in the water column bind together so they can be more easily filtered out (improving water clarity.)

Clarity should only really be used if you water is cloudy immediately after setup (e.g. due to dust from substrate) or you stir up a bunch of sediment during a rescape or water change or something. It isn't chemical filtration in the way that Purigen is.
64D-1701 likes this.

My algae is the only plant that pearls.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 02:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel View Post
I agree with every word. I would add one more thing. Purigen is CHEAP. You can reuse it nearly infinitely by bleaching it. I have the same batch of purigen for 2.5 years now and it still works in the same way. So maybe starting price is a bit high, but it will last you eternity.

And I agree with this added commentary.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 10:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

OP please excuse the thread hijack but I believe I could use some info here.

I have a large piece of driftwood that after a month is still leaking tannins and I'm worried that it'll interfere with light reaching the plants. Previously I've had smaller tanks and therefore, much smaller driftwood to add to the scape so I've never really encountered this problem before.

What are my options?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 11:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Just buy Purigen and be done with it.
It is an exchange resin and works wonders.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy View Post

What is the best placement for Purigen in a canister? Last level before the output?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 09:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileEMP View Post
What is the best placement for Purigen in a canister? Last level before the output?

Yes
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 10:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileEMP View Post

Yes, last stage as to not collect debris.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 10:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy View Post
How do you measure wonders?
Maryland Guppy and 64D-1701 like this.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 10:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
How do you measure wonders?
It is a scalar form of measurement!
Scalar = having only magnitude, not direction.
Edward likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode