?? How many gallons per inch water level in a 75 gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (197/100%)
?? How many gallons per inch water level in a 75 gallon

Hi all, newbie here.

Anyone have the figure for how many gallons a one inch drop in water level represents in a perfecto 75 gallon tank? Or the figure for how many cubic inches water to a gallon? I figured it would be a useful thing to know, so when I do water changes I can do them in inches, then convert that to gallons, so I know how much dosing to put into the replaced water.

I apparently have very low GH and KH and so will be supplementing my water at each change to provide buffering capacity. I'm on the learning curve here and trying to figure out what I'm doing.

Thanks for your help!

Donna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 01:15 AM

PTrader: (11/100%)
cubic inches / 231 = gallons
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 12:44 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
There are two simple ways to figure that out:

For a 75 gal tank, the real volume will be around 70 gals (measure the inside dimensions of the tank, multiply them and divide by 231). Divide this number by the height of the tank, and you will get your gallons per inch.

Or, take a bucket that fits 5 gallons, mark the tank water level, fill the bucket, and mark the new level. The difference between the two marks will be 5 gallons, and you can put some more marks on the side of the tank for future measuring purposes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (197/100%)
Thanks

Thanks guys,

I think I'll do it by calculating. I do have a 5 gallon bucket, but I don't know exactly the fill line on it that would make it 5 gallons. I can easily do the measuring thing.

Donna
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 01:39 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest
There are two simple ways to figure that out.
How about a third way.

If the tank is 75 gallons (or say it has a useful load of 70 gallons), divide the gallons by the height of the tank to water level and that is how many gallons there is in 1Ē.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 04:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenisgood
Thanks guys,

I think I'll do it by calculating. I do have a 5 gallon bucket, but I don't know exactly the fill line on it that would make it 5 gallons. I can easily do the measuring thing.

Donna
Easy to figure out on the bucket. Get your measuring spoons and put 3840 teaspoons of water in the bucket. That will be the 5 gallon line. Of if you want you could just use a gallon milk jug and put five of those in the bucket.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 08:11 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeItUp
How about a third way.

If the tank is 75 gallons (or say it has a useful load of 70 gallons), divide the gallons by the height of the tank to water level and that is how many gallons there is in 1Ē.
That's what I meant to be the first method.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode