QT PH crash - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Robo-snickers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
QT PH crash

I have experienced something odd when i tried to quarantine a few fish that i am wondering if i should even do it.

Starters... here are my water perimeters.

TAP
Ph 8.0ish... after a few hours it settles at 7.6
KH 1-2
GH 1-2

MAIN TANK
Ph 6.0 (ADA AS is buffering my tap)
KH 1-2
GH 6 (need to dose GH booster for my plants)

To begin i have a 72 gallon with maybe 20 fish all seem healthy and have no problems. I wish to add a few more fish and i went to LFS where the tanks seem decent and when i purchased 4 fish (rainbows)all from the same tank they all ended up dieing after a week (placed in my 72).

I decided im no longer risking my healthy fish and will use a quarantine tank from now on since i have old filters, heater, and a 10 gallon tank laying around (never done a QT before) I go to a different store in another city and buy the same fish. This time i place then in the QT tank after i acclimate them for about an hour... every 10 mins placing a bit of tank water into the fish bag. Now im not sure if this was a mistake but i used water from my 72 to fill the QT because i figure i want the fish to be use to the lower PH, KH, and GH.

All is fine for 24 hours i come home from work and test the QT water and notice the PH is 8.6. Wow what happened? I changed about 40% of the water because this seemed extremely odd and one rainbow have a bit of red on his side. I tested the water a few hours later it was 6.6 and it has been stable for 16 hours now... but the rainbow with the red side didn’t make it.

My question is what happened? Why did the PH crash? And is it worth it to QT if this is going to happen.? I called the fish store and they informed me their tank has a PH of 6.8 and KH of 1-2. They dont test the GH on fresh water tanks.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-22-2018, 08:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Yeah, that's weird. Not sure why it would creep up to 8.6 in the first place unless your QT substrate or hardscape was calcium based, like reef bones, crushed coral or aragonite or similar. If it stays 6.6 I'd leave it there. Close, but stable is way better than a pH that fluctuates.

What's your QT's KH?

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakJimW View Post
Yeah, that's weird. Not sure why it would creep up to 8.6 in the first place unless your QT substrate or hardscape was calcium based, like reef bones, crushed coral or aragonite or similar. If it stays 6.6 I'd leave it there. Close, but stable is way better than a pH that fluctuates.

What's your QT's KH?
Its about 6 degrees. Im wondering since i used my main tanks water and placed it in the QT that without the ADA substrate and drift wood the PH shot up. If true, this worries me because i dont know what would happen once the AS’s buffering starts to wear off. Would the PH in the main tank shoot up?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 03:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Yes. RO, RO/DI, or distilled bottle water may be a good way to go. Tap water will drastically reduce the lifespan of active substrates.

In the QT, I can't figure why a KH as high as 6 would let your pH creep down that low (the 6.6 it landed at)

The reason it initially shot up to 8.6 may be from the CO2 gassing out (assuming you inject CO2 in your main tank) but to go from 8.6 back to 6.6 in a few hours really stumps me. Especially with that much KH. Hopefully some more chemistry savvy folks will chime in

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakJimW View Post
Yes. RO, RO/DI, or distilled bottle water may be a good way to go. Tap water will drastically reduce the lifespan of active substrates.

In the QT, I can't figure why a KH as high as 6 would let your pH creep down that low (the 6.6 it landed at)

The reason it initially shot up to 8.6 may be from the CO2 gassing out (assuming you inject CO2 in your main tank) but to go from 8.6 back to 6.6 in a few hours really stumps me. Especially with that much KH. Hopefully some more chemistry savvy folks will chime in
I apologize. The KH is 1-2... i misread and thought you were asking for the GH. And yes I inject CO2 in the main tank. I think i am going to leave some water from the tank out overnight and see what happens to the PH.
KayakJimW likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode