3Likes
  • 1 Post By burr740
  • 2 Post By nilocg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thrive or Thrive+

Is one better than the other? I know Thrive+ is meant for tanks with a ph lower than 7 and also contains more iron which is good for red plants.

I am unsure which one to buy for my 6.5g tank. I will be running CO2 and I have good lighting and soil, hoping to be heavily planted.

Are there consequences of using thrive+ when the ph is above 7? I will be testing my water tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 06:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie7778 View Post
Is one better than the other? I know Thrive+ is meant for tanks with a ph lower than 7 and also contains more iron which is good for red plants.

I am unsure which one to buy for my 6.5g tank. I will be running CO2 and I have good lighting and soil, hoping to be heavily planted.

Are there consequences of using thrive+ when the ph is above 7? I will be testing my water tomorrow.
I'm pretty sure it has to do with the type of iron used as well as being designed for higher tech tanks. Colin (@nilocg) is a member on these forums and has always been super helpful in the past.

Here's his answer to that on his website though (#3): http://nilocg.com/blog/thrivelinefaq

I'm sure he wouldn't mind a PM if you have further questions.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 12:16 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (131/100%)
One of the "two forms of nitrogen" in Thrive+ is urea. In PH of 7 and below the urea is in the form of ammonium which is harmless. As the PH climbs above 7 it starts to turn into ammonia which can be toxic at high levels.

It's not an absolute thing where at 7.1 it all becomes ammonia. That's just where it begins to happen. Probably not a big deal unless the PH is in the upper 7s and above (temp also plays a role), but that's why it's recommended for PH levels under 7.

Besides that, Thrive+ has twice the Fe. That's the main difference. I believe Fe in both versions is EDTA
natemcnutty likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 01:18 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie7778 View Post

6.5g, go for thrive. I tested a lot of different liquid ferts, you can check it out in the forums. "Best Liquid Ferts?"

I find out that thrive is more forgiving in terms of future algae problems due to an abundance of trace elements in a nano tank that size.

"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience"
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thank you everyone, I tested my water and its around 7.2. I'll go with thrive!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 04:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
One of the "two forms of nitrogen" in Thrive+ is urea. In PH of 7 and below the urea is in the form of ammonium which is harmless. As the PH climbs above 7 it starts to turn into ammonia which can be toxic at high levels.

It's not an absolute thing where at 7.1 it all becomes ammonia. That's just where it begins to happen. Probably not a big deal unless the PH is in the upper 7s and above (temp also plays a role), but that's why it's recommended for PH levels under 7.

Besides that, Thrive+ has twice the Fe. That's the main difference. I believe Fe in both versions is EDTA
Thrive and Thrive+ both contain EDTA and DTPA iron, other than that you are correct.
burr740 and natemcnutty like this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 04:47 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via Skype™ to dmastin
wait, what?
I recently purchased Thrive +, but Thrive is more forgiving due to more trace element already present or Thrive has more trace elements than Thrive +?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCMark View Post
6.5g, go for thrive. I tested a lot of different liquid ferts, you can check it out in the forums. "Best Liquid Ferts?"

I find out that thrive is more forgiving in terms of future algae problems due to an abundance of trace elements in a nano tank that size.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 02:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmastin View Post
wait, what?
I recently purchased Thrive +, but Thrive is more forgiving due to more trace element already present or Thrive has more trace elements than Thrive +?
Trace elements are nearly identical in Thrive and Thrive+ so no worries there. Thrive+ has more iron which some consider trace however.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilocg View Post
Trace elements are nearly identical in Thrive and Thrive+ so no worries there. Thrive+ has more iron which some consider trace however.
Nilocg, Sorry i'll start a new thread if needed. I ordered a large bottle of the Thrive+ not realizing the differences. Tested my PH and it's around 7.5. Can I get away with Thrive+ or do I have to go through the hassle of replacing for regular Thrive? I'm thinking I may be able to get it close to 7 but probably not under.

How long does a bottle last on average? I have a 75 gallon, 45 gallon, and 10 gallon and was hoping to use 1/2 recommended in the two smaller tanks, and normal in the 75 gallon with Co2.

Thanks for the help, much appreciated, can't wait for it to arrive as my growth even with Co2 is slooow.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode