Rotala Butterfly | Planted Aquarium Nutrient Dosing Calculator

370 liter aquarium
500ml osmosis water container
Dosing size : 15ml

K2SO4 - 10ppm 275 gram to 500ml container
K2HPO4 1.3 ppm 30 gram to 500ml container
KNO3 20ppm 402 gram to 500ml container

4 questions:

1.am i right with the grams calculations ? Its look fine ?

2.is the -DOSE SIZE: - 15mL means 3 days dosing with 5ml or what ?

3. 83gram K2SO4 in 500ml osmosis water .dose size 15mL three times a week . What range of pps i get ?

4. In PPS dosing there is SS liquid
For 500ml osmosis with

20.38gram NO3
5.97gram PO4
15.74gram SO4
Dossing 3 times a week with 10ml (370 litter tank)
How pps it suppose to gives ?

I got confused with all the calculations....

Help will be appreciated

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 98 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 02:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
gilya likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 98 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 04:59 PM
Algae Grower

Isn't there a difference between PPS and EI dosing?

post #4 of 98 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 05:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ck0 View Post
Isn't there a difference between PPS and EI dosing?
Yes, there is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 98 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 05:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
OP- did the chart that was posted answer your questions?

These were the questions:

3. 83gram K2SO4 in 500ml osmosis water .dose size 15mL three times a week . What range of pps i get ?

Or, do you need further assistance?

Amy
post #6 of 98 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Only question 4 answered...
I will appreciate if you can check my calculations and answer the rest questions ...thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
OP- did the chart that was posted answer your questions?

These were the questions:

Or, do you need further assistance?
Discusluv likes this.
post #7 of 98 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 06:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

No, I cannot answer them, I am a beginner like you and read through posts like these because they help me as well.
These are all good questions.
Someone will assist you ( and me ) soon, Im sure.
gilya likes this.

Amy
post #8 of 98 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 06:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilya View Post
Help will be appreciated
Since you mentioned PPS I assumed you wanted to mix the fertilizer and start dosing. Do you want to mix the fertilizer?

post #9 of 98 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 07:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
4 questions:

Yes, calculations are correct.

Quote:
The dose size is to bring your tank to that target level, single dose.

For instance, using EI level from RotalaButterfly, recommended KNO3 dose is 7.5 ppm N 3 times per week. So that's a total of 22.5 ppm N for the week. You are showing 20ppm per dose, which would be 60ppm for the week.

Quote:
I assume you mean what range of ppm? If so, K would be 3.01 per dose.

Quote:
4. In PPS dosing there is SS liquid
For 500ml osmosis with

20.38gram NO3
5.97gram PO4
15.74gram SO4
Dossing 3 times a week with 10ml (370 litter tank)

Help will be appreciated

You are going from talking about EI to PPS dosing. They are not the same.

And EI really is just kind of a starting point. Very few that I know actually dose specific EI levels, it's some variation that works well in their tank.

For PPS I know that Edward can help you out.

And for anyone to really give you good advice, they would need all the information about your tank. Size/fish/plants/lights/CO2/pictures/etc. etc.

There really isn't a one size fits all method that works for everyone, much depends on the goals for your tank. A world of difference between low light crypt/ferns/swords and high light fast growing flowery stems.

---
---
post #10 of 98 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 07:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I think that that is the problem when you begin learning something new like this- you sometimes get methods and terms confused as you are learning a new vocabulary that others speak, yet you are still unfamiliar with.

Many times those that speak and know this language ( the experienced)-- and all those particular details that these terms refer to-- dont realize that what they understand in complex detail, the beginner is still learning the language of.
Greggz likes this.

Amy
post #11 of 98 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 07:38 PM
Algae Grower

i will say the best way is to figure out how much the aquarium needs daily!
so test the water in the morning before lights go on ! then add what you think is correct amount of fertiliser than test again to see where you are ! and repeat until you get where you want to be then test the water next day to see how much aquarium eat it and then just calculate how much needs again
every aquarium is different! so find out how much your tank needs
post #12 of 98 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

You right but when you make a liquid based on powders you must do it right . After you have the SS you can decide if you put every day 5 / 10 / 15 ml.
You must prepare a base that will guide you to the best direction with out algee that always will be happy visiting your aquarium.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregos View Post
i will say the best way is to figure out how much the aquarium needs daily!
so test the water in the morning before lights go on ! then add what you think is correct amount of fertiliser than test again to see where you are ! and repeat until you get where you want to be then test the water next day to see how much aquarium eat it and then just calculate how much needs again
every aquarium is different! so find out how much your tank needs
post #13 of 98 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

In the EI proccess i waste a lot of expensive powders . If you say the calculations are fine ...so it about all most half kilo of nitrate for 1 bottle of 500ml !?!?

Am i right ? It is crazy and i think unimpossible to mix 500gram powder with 500ml osmosis water (it will stay powder)

I think the best way for me is the pps way .
to make it right by making SS mix for :370 litter
low light (starting with 0.5watt/litter)
30% planted aquarium
4 tap/second targeted to 20ppm co2 .

I will use and fix it after week or 2 with NP( no phosphate) and Nn( no nitrate) mix .

I just want to get an advice for the amount i need to prepare for being on the safe side .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
Since you mentioned PPS I assumed you wanted to mix the fertilizer and start dosing. Do you want to mix the fertilizer?
post #14 of 98 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 08:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
I think that that is the problem when you begin learning something new like this- you sometimes get methods and terms confused as you are learning a new vocabulary that others speak, yet you are still unfamiliar with.

Many times those that speak and know this language ( the experienced)-- and all those particular details that these terms refer to-- dont realize that what they understand in complex detail, the beginner is still learning the language of.
No doubt about that Discusluv. When I first got started, I thought some here were speaking in tongues.

So yes, it does take some experience. Getting to know and understand either Rotalabutterly or the Zorfox calculators are well worth the time.

In very general terms, PPS is light dosing designed to dose "just enough" (you can elaborate Edward), and EI is designed to dose "more than enough" of everything, so everything is non limiting.

Once again, that being said, in regards to EI, very few that I know actually dose recommended EI macro levels. Might be a little more or less of each compound. And then don't even get me started on micros! Also EI recommends dosing micros/macros every other day. Many of us are front loading all or most macros and dosing micros daily.

And dosing levels of either EI or PPS are all relative to your tank and your goals.

So the problem is, it IS complicated, until you begin to understand the terms/words/calculations. And even then, it takes some dedication and willingness to experiment to really find out what works in your tank.

Good news is many here happy to help with thoughts on both "EI" or PPS dosing. As always, the more detail you have about your tank, the higher quality advice you will receive.

Not sure what the OP intends to do, so very difficult to help.

Bump:
Quote:
Maybe it is, and maybe it isn't.

But in general, with a tank that size dosing dry macro ferts, either EI or PPS, is much cheaper and easier in the long run. I would not be making a macro solution for that dosing.
Discusluv likes this.

---
---

Last edited by Greggz; 08-10-2018 at 08:59 PM. Reason: typo
post #15 of 98 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 09:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I have an aquarium 130 50 60
I understand that substituting an active aquarium to an amazonian platform has the risk of death by releasing high amounts of ammonia at the time of insert the substrate.
Quote:
started a cycle with 4 starters . I don't want to use many plants
Quote:
to make it right by making SS mix for :370 litter
low light (starting with 0.5watt/litter)
30% planted aquarium
4 tap/second targeted to 20ppm co2 .
Looks like you are cycling in newly build 390L/100gal aquarium with ADA substrate and few plants and you have chosen PPS-Classic fertilizer designed for matured aquariums and inert substrate. ADA is not inert substrate.

What you need at this stage and time is PPS-Pro fertilizer and periodic water changes until the ADA substrate releases the extra NH4 ammonium and plants start growing properly. You donít need to monitor anything other than NH4 until it becomes almost undetectable. Also, you need to know tap water GH and KH.

FYI, What's the difference between PPS-Classic and PPS-Pro?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode