3Likes
  • 1 Post By captmicha
  • 2 Post By madcrafted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
PPS-Pro dry dosing?

Is there a guide to dry dosing PPS-Pro? Where you have macros mixed up dry and micros/trace mixed up dry and you just measure out an amount of powder from both and add to your filter?

I'm not a fan of wet dosing it. Having to mix it up so often and/or refrigerate the stock solution unless I want it to go bad within a week's time or less.

Even with clean technique and distilled water.

I'm tired all the time, so I don't want to be making it harder on myself than it needs to be.

I have a fish room, so 2.5 gallons up to 65 gallons. Low to medium light.

Thanks for any help. (I'm HORRIBLE at math, btw, so an Idiot's guide would be appreciated!).
Discusluv likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 09:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by captmicha View Post
Is there a guide to dry dosing PPS-Pro? Where you have macros mixed up dry and micros/trace mixed up dry and you just measure out an amount of powder from both and add to your filter?

I'm not a fan of wet dosing it. Having to mix it up so often and/or refrigerate the stock solution unless I want it to go bad within a week's time or less.

I'm tired all the time, so I don't want to be making it harder on myself than it needs to be.

Thanks for any help. (I'm HORRIBLE at math, btw, so an Idiot's guide would be appreciated!).
You'll need a milligram scale. Head over to rotalabutterfly.com and figure your values. I dosed PPS-Pro a while back, forgot what each value is, but I think it's something like 1 ppm NO3 from KNO3, .1 ppm PO4 from KH2PO4...I think the dry ferts come with breakdown of what each dose adds.

Anyhow, knowing what each individual dose adds, you can enter in, for example, KNO3 on rotalabutterfly and your tank size. Then select dry fertilizing, "dose to reach a target", enter in your target ppm and it'll tell you how much in milligrams to add to your tank.

Edit: https://sites.google.com/site/aquati...r/home/pps-pro
Here's the PPS-Pro breakdown. See right side, #1 Macro dose, and #2 Micro dose. Enter those values into rotalabutterfly's nutrient calculator to figure out what each of your tanks will require to hit the target ppm's.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 09:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't know how you'd dose the 2.5 gallon tanks without making a solution first. I only dose a few drops at a time in mine. With dry dosing, even KH2PO4 would be less than 1/64th of a teaspoon per day with a 65 gallon tank using PPS. I don't have measuring spoons that small nor would I want to weigh salts and powders out with precision scales everyday.

The mold that forms with the micros isn't a huge deal, IME. You could empty the bottle through a coffee filter into a cup/bowl and refill your storage bottle back up if it bothers you that much. I just keep my solutions in a dark, cool place. I don't bother with refrigeration.
Edward and Wobblebonk like this.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 10:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:

Lol! I identify with this so much that I couldn't help commenting. I have no idea on your question but I also have a brain dysfunction with math . Thats why I spend twice as much using liquid fertilizers that simply tell me how much to add to aquarium from lines on a cap like Seachem's line offers. Im not stupid ( although one could say I am an idiot when it comes to math and I wouldn't be offended in the slightest because it is true .

I even looked at this site "Rotala Butterfly," excited to hear there was a simple system of conversion out there for those who needed more assistance...
{sigh} not simple enough--

I am destined to pay double with pre-mixed liquids because of my mathematical dysfunction.

Did I tell you I wast stupid--- just wanted to make that clear :/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 12:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
▼▼▼
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcrafted View Post
I don't know how you'd dose the 2.5 gallon tanks without making a solution first. I only dose a few drops at a time in mine. With dry dosing, even KH2PO4 would be less than 1/64th of a teaspoon per day with a 65 gallon tank using PPS. I don't have measuring spoons that small nor would I want to weigh salts and powders out with precision scales every day.
▲▲▲ (For example, one daily dose to 2.5 gal is 0.0014 grams of KH2PO4.)

Quote:

-> Fertilizer mold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thank you so much!!! I guess there's no choice but to use liquid stock but the fungus med should help.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

One more question, you know those Bettix/twin neck/squeeze measuring bottles?

If you squeeze too much, you can tilt the bottle and it pours back into the reservoir of solution, right?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 09:43 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
One more question, you know those Bettix/twin neck/squeeze measuring bottles?

If you squeeze too much, you can tilt the bottle and it pours back into the reservoir of solution, right?
yes up to a point, you won’t get all of it out of the dosing chamber, about 5ml will be left depending on how full the bottle is

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode