KH/GH and Phosphate questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
KH/GH and Phosphate questions

Hey everyone

I am just starting up my dosing regimen and I need a little help on a few things…

Out of the tap my gh and kh are both 3. They stay at 3 even in the tank. I’d like to raise it 1 or 2 degrees after water changes to keep my co2 around 20ppm. (6.8-7.0 ph pressurized co2)
Am I better off just dosing calcium carbonate instead of crushed coral in the filter? Can you only dose calcium carbonate once a week at water changes and still keep it stable? (really don’t want to test more than once a week)

Ok secondly and most importantly

Phosphates out of the tap are .25 (testing with crappy red sea test kit)
After testing the tank it seems to be 2+ all the time (you have to look down into the test tube to compare.. really hard to tell)
I’m guessing it’s the fish food that’s causing the phosphates to be so high.. even after 50% weekly water change it still registers off the chart
I rotate freeze dried blood worms and “tetramin(full-o-phosphate)flakes” but I’m not sure if they can cause it to be so high..
I even just fed just the worms for a week to see if phos would drop, but it didn’t…
Should I add some kind of phosphate remover media to the canister or just bring nitrates up to 20ppm?

And one more question…
I have a 55 gallon tank
I’m dosing plantex+b every other day… 500ml water 2 tablespoons
I’m a little confused… rex griggs site says .5ml in 20 gallons, other sites say 5ml
Is the period a typo? 1.5ml liquid seems like it’s way too little

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 01:15 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Hey jayrug,
Lets see...
Quote:
Am I better off just dosing calcium carbonate instead of crushed coral in the filter?
Coral is more inconsistent then cc unless you are real good or real lucky.
Quote:
Should I add some kind of phosphate remover media to the canister or just bring nitrates up to 20ppm?
Bringing up the nitrates wont hurt , but wont help either, you gotta get the phosphate level down. That level will drop with water changes as long as you are not dosing it, no need to use phos removing media if your tap is at .25 and you back off the "flake"

and lastly...
Quote:
I’m a little confused… rex griggs site says
I dunno, you gotta ask Rex.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 01:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Ok, here's the answer we have all been waiting for.

If you mix ~20 grams (two tablespoons) of Plantex CSM+B in 500 ml of water and are dosing a 55 gallon tank you will need 8 ml to get your iron up to .1 ppm. Now mind you I don't use Plantex CSM+B for my total iron dosing needs anymore. When I was doing so I managed to kill almost $100 worth of Amano shrimp though copper poisoning.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 02:48 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks Buck. I’m buying calcium carbonate and dropping the flake immediately. Any suggestions for a brand of flake?

Rex, I also bought iron chelate from Greg. I see you mix 1 tablespoon in 500 ml of water and dose around 5 ml a week total. I guess I will do the same even though Greg’s is 10% and yours is 14%. Do you dose a little over 1ml every other day? Also how much do you dose the Plantex now if you don’t mind me asking? I also have shrimp btw and don’t wanna copporize em

Thanks guys and to everyone on this site.. without your help i'd have nothing but dead plants

Jay
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 01:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Right now in my 55 gallon tank I have cut back the iron dosing to about 2 ml a week of my iron solution. Seems to be working quite well.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode