• 2 Post By FreshPuff
  • 4 Post By mgeorges
  • 1 Post By FreshPuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
R/O Systems

What R/O systems do you use and recommend?

Im interested in getting an R/O system, not for my planted tank, but for increasing the hatch rate from my 2 discus pairs. As it is, the eggs from spawn are fertilized, but calcify thus preventing hatch. Im sure that what is used for a planted tank would be just as good ( just as applicable ) for the raising of fry.

Out of tap:
My pH is 7.4
KH 3/ GH 5
TDS fluctuates between 115-125 during year
Goal TDS ( this is the important #) 70

Thank you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 12:22 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I am on a tight budget, so I use Aquatic Life's RO Buddie. I have used this for 5 months and recently exchanged the carbon filter.

It lowers my TDS from 180 to 7.
Discusluv likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Nice- thank you. That is one I did see on Amazon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 01:10 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have one of those and also a system from bulk reef supply. Bulk reef was more expensive but about 60% less waste water for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Discusluv likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 01:49 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
Highly recommend SpectraPure. They have refurbished units for cheap... Their brand of filter cartridges last a very long time and are cheaper to replace compared to many of the amazon ro/di systems. Might be worth looking into their 4 stage 90gpd unit.
mgeorges and Discusluv like this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 01:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
What R/O systems do you use and recommend?

Im interested in getting an R/O system, not for my planted tank, but for increasing the hatch rate from my 2 discus pairs. As it is, the eggs from spawn are fertilized, but calcify thus preventing hatch. Im sure that what is used for a planted tank would be just as good ( just as applicable ) for the raising of fry.

Out of tap:
My pH is 7.4
KH 3/ GH 5
TDS fluctuates between 115-125 during year
Goal TDS ( this is the important #) 70

Thank you! <a href="https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/images/smilie/icon_smile.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Smile" >:-)</a>
SpectraPure 90GPD Refurb unit. I run two of these, man are they amazing. My tap water TDS is currently around 260, GH is 13+. TDS from RODI is zero, as expected, from both units. Remineralize to parameters you want, 70 TDS is pretty soft! I think @FreshPuff is probably talking about these same units.

Edit: This is what I run - http://spectrapure.com/RO-RODI/RODI-...PD-RODI-System
I'm not seeing their refurb offer anymore, might just be missing it. It was this unit, but for $129 and no warranty beyond 30 days.
@Discusluv I would avoid systems like the RO Buddie - cheap up front, but cartridges do not last long and are way overpriced to replace. I imagine you'll be replacing a lot of water since you're doing multiple water changes per week, so this should be a major consideration. The Spectrapure units use a standard cartridge that be used across many lines of RO units, last a long time, and aren't terribly expensive to replace.
Greggz, FreshPuff, mbkemp and 1 others like this.

Last edited by mgeorges; 08-02-2018 at 02:15 AM. Reason: .
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorges View Post
SpectraPure 90GPD Refurb unit. I run two of these, man are they amazing. My tap water TDS is currently around 260, GH is 13+. TDS from RODI is zero, as expected, from both units. Remineralize to parameters you want, 70 TDS is pretty soft! I think @FreshPuff is probably talking about these same units.

Edit: This is what I run - http://spectrapure.com/RO-RODI/RODI-...PD-RODI-System
I'm not seeing their refurb offer anymore, might just be missing it. It was this unit, but for $129 and no warranty beyond 30 days.
@Discusluv I would avoid systems like the RO Buddie - cheap up front, but cartridges do not last long and are way overpriced to replace. I imagine you'll be replacing a lot of water since you're doing multiple water changes per week, so this should be a major consideration. The Spectrapure units use a standard cartridge that be used across many lines of RO units, last a long time, and aren't terribly expensive to replace.

Okay, thanks for that tip on the RO Buddy, I really donít want a unit that is pricey to replace the cartridges when there are less expensive options but better quality ( more expense up front. ) I was figuring 150.00 for budget so Iíll look at this unitcthat you have recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbkemp View Post
I have one of those and also a system from bulk reef supply. Bulk reef was more expensive but about 60% less waste water for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike, I think you recommended this to me a while back ago and I forgot about this one. Iíll check this out as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

How does this one compare to the others recommended?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Amy

Last edited by Darkblade48; 08-02-2018 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 03:53 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
Yup that's the exact the unit I was talking about, @mgeorges! Hmmm, you're right... I don't see any refurbished units listed on their site.
I think the next best thing would be this one here CSPDI Standard 90-GPD RO/DI System - CSPDI-90

The TDS meter is nice to have... Easiest way to know when your filters need replacing.

BRS is not bad but they use 1 micron sediment and carbon block filters. Spectrapure uses .5 micron high efficiency filters (better). This means better filtering and longer life with Spectrapure. Something to keep in mind.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
How does this one compare to the others recommended?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1
When sizing up the ro/di units, focus on the filter's micron filtration capabilities (I'm sure I could have worded that better lol). Smaller the number the better. The unit above consists of 1 micron sediment and 2 micron carbon. There are better options out there.
Discusluv likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode