Dosing Nitrate when your water source is already high in Nitrate - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dosing Nitrate when your water source is already high in Nitrate

I was just wondering what every ones thoughts are on this. I'm using an API liquid test kit and my Nitrate out of the tap is already high and so I'm wondering if I need it as a fert. To me the answer seems simple but I know that among the more experienced it may not be as simple as yes or no.

I came across a thread a while back where hobbyist showed how leaving the Nitrate out of his EI mix would reduce his tap nitrate (once in the tank) to 0ppm over the course of 7 days.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 12:54 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Simply aging tap water can actually lower your nitrates. Fill a bucket with tap water. Take a reading. Then out an air stone in it for 24 hours. Re test. 80% of the time you will get a completely different reading. However, say your tap has 15ppm nitrate, but you have enough plants to consume 20ppm nitrate, then you're short 5ppm if you do not dose. But....if your tap has 25ppm and your plants consume 10 ppm and then you dose 20ppm then your nitrates are too high.....but honestly.....plants really don't eat as much nitrate as people think/wish they do.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode