Filtering chloramine - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Filtering chloramine

I'm in the process of build a automatic water change system, I got a good idea of how I'm going to construct it, basically plumb it up to the house plumbing, both hot and cold water, then to a thermostic mixer of a bidet to adjust the temperature then through a filter to remove the chloramine through a couple of solenoid running off timers to dump and also refill water. Problem which I have is how do I filter out the chloramine? If possible I don't want to remove anything out of the water other chloramine so RO is out of the question. Our kh gh is perfect, I also don't want the flow rate to drop much from our current mains pressure. I have seen a couple of filters but the flow rate recommended is quite slow, any help would be great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 10:00 AM
Planted Member

Simple answer is you cant. In order to filter that out you will filter everything out.

My suggestion....

Get an automatic fertilizer doser.....but instead of ferts fill it with dechlorinator, set amount and frequency and have it auto add dechlorinater

You could also look for a small siphon proportioned and have it pull in a certain amount per gallon as it flows through.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

What about carbon? I was looking at the "evolution Aqua detox dechlorinator" which is a filter, it drops the flow rate and also unsure of it would affect my kh and gh?

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 10:23 AM
Planted Member

Anything that can filter chlorine or chloramines with filter out everything else too.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 10:25 AM
Planted Member

Another option is a programmable fish feeder, and put sodium thiosulfate crystals in it. It's a dry dechlorinater that disolves in the water
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 10:30 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant46290 View Post
Anything that can filter chlorine or chloramines with filter out everything else too.
Are you sure about that? I thought carbon blocks filtered out chlorine (and some other bad things). Aren't they part of RO systems to do just that so that the membrane/resin don't get used up as quickly?
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 10:52 AM
Planted Member

Depending on which carbon, it can remove thing in size from 0.5 to 50 micrometers. Carbon will remove chlorine. But carbon will also remove organic materials and bacteria. Removing organic materials can potentially change your water. I'm not saying carbon is bad or it won't work, but it will change your water. Maybe for the better, maybe not. But you would have to slowly force water through carbon because all water would have to come i to contact with the carbon in order to remove chlorine. Usually the water is ran over the carbon a number of times instead of once. Using carbon blocks or packed carbon filters do force the water through and cause it to touch every bit of water.

But there is nothing out there that can just remove chlorine and not change any other aspect of the water. Not even a product specifically for dechlorination. Other things always change. Some good and some bad.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 10:56 AM
Planted Member

You're trying to shoot for a perfect world. Lol. No RO, no GH or KH change. No loss of flow (choice of running water through several times and keep rate or force through once and lose rate). Either way I think your best bet is 1 of the options I posted above. And the easiest.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 11:02 AM
Planted Member

You can also just set up a constant trickle with an overflow into a drain and not worry about chlorine. It will slowly but constantly do a water change and the chlorine will degas before it ever gets close to causing problems.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 12:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Chlorine and Chloramine are two different things. You can off gas the former but not the later. I think carbon can deal with Chloramine but may need a slightly different set up to do it.

I wonder if you could essentially make RO, but then use the 'waste' water to reconstitute it. So you'd restore the minerals but the Chloramine/Chlorines would be caught/converted.

Otherwise could you just dose in a declorinator?
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 12:48 PM
Planted Member

Chloramine is ammonia and chlorine together.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 01:21 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
You can also just set up a constant trickle with an overflow into a drain and not worry about chlorine. It will slowly but constantly do a water change and the chlorine will degas before it ever gets close to causing problems.
"Chicago" water is chlorine disinfected and I've had no ill effects. I have a 75g display tank with a 15g (running volume) sump and have a 5 gpd continuous water change system in action for over 5 years. The 5g of chlorine water dissipates within the 90g of tank water and never builds up to be detrimental to the fish. I've stocked Lake Tanganyika biotope as well as an Amazon river biotope and had breeding activities with both, so the fish seem to be healthy.

You don't mention the tank volume or exchange rate of water and how quickly you'd load the tank with chloramine (you have verified chloramine with your local water supplier?). If you're working with a relatively small loading a carbon block filter may be a cost effective option.

75g that has rolled through various incarnations over the years...
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 02:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Chloramine is ammonia and chlorine together.
...which is significantly more stable than chlorine alone and does not evaporate out like chlorine does.

A dual, in-line carbon block with a flow restrictor just might work, but you'll absolutely want a sediment filter in front of it or you'll clog up the carbon blocks real quick. The more time the water has to be in contact with the carbon block, the higher % of removal you'll have. Carbon will not filter everything out, but it won't simply filter out Chloramine either. The majority of what carbon WILL filter out is stuff you don't want in your water, so that's not too big of a concern.

I would keep it a little more simple - dose Prime into your tank after it drains and then let it refill. Cheap, works...no Chloramine. It's not a completely "hands-off" system this way, but if dosing some Prime into your tank is a deal breaker....lol.

You have verified via your water report that your city does, in fact, add chloramine?
DiscusStu and swarley like this.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 02:11 PM
Planted Member

He doesn't want any flow restriction and I think he wants completely hands off though which is the problem.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 02:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Yeah....going to have to sacrifice something. You can't have your cake and eat it, too.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode