2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jeff5614
  • 1 Post By natemcnutty

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Plants could be better but whatís wrong

My guppies seems to slowly die off either due to stress or some unknown cause. I donít care for guppy so I am not concerned about that. 2 Assasin mts and bladder snail seems fine, with assassin keeping them in check. Shrimps survive and populate like crazy. Water test shows 0 0 20-40, I do weekly ~20-30% water change. Daily dose excel, every 3 day flourish, monthly or every two month root tab.

My moss and floater plants do well but others need more root tab? Or substrate problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 05:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
It may be the lavendar gravel.
Greggz likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 02:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
The leaves circled are all older leaves while the newer grow actually looks pretty good (but might just be the color contrast between the leaves and the gravel ).

If the leaves were good at one point and got worse, then it's a mobile nutrient that you are low on that the plant is moving from old growth to be growth to continue growing healthy leaves. The macro fertilizers such as nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium are mobile, and that's where I would start looking

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I know, I sorta am helping out with the tank. I wouldíve never used lavender gravel

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 04:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Water test shows 0 0 20-40, I do weekly ~20-30% water change.
Is 20-40 nitrate?

Flourish comprehensive doesn't have nitrogen. So to have levels that high you either need to have it in your tap water. or the waist from your fish is not being consumed by the plants which could be due to a nutrient deficiency. What is your tap water nitrate levels?

Shrimps survive and populate like crazy.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 05:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Water test shows 0 0 20-40, I do weekly ~20-30% water change.
Is 20-40 nitrate?

Flourish comprehensive doesn't have nitrogen. So to have levels that high you either need to have it in your tap water. or the waist from your fish is not being consumed by the plants which could be due to a nutrient deficiency. What is your tap water nitrate levels?

Quote:
Shrimps survive and populate like crazy.
Flourish also doesn't have enough calcium. But your shrimp would indicate a calcium deficiency is unlikely.

My guess is that your high nitrate may have caused a deficiency in potassium or phosphorous. You might try getting a phosphate test kit to determine what your phosphate levels are. I don't know of any potassium test kits that could be used to check potassium levels. Potassium and phosphate are mobil nutrients in plants and as a result older leaves would be affected first as the plant moves mobil nutrients to the new growth.

I don't have any idea as to whey the guppies are dying other than the water may be too soft for them. You could get a GH test kit to determine if your water is soft or not.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 06:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf View Post
Is 20-40 nitrate?

Flourish also doesn't have enough calcium. But your shrimp would indicate a calcium deficiency is unlikely.

My guess is that your high nitrate may have caused a deficiency in potassium or phosphorous. You might try getting a phosphate test kit to determine what your phosphate levels are. I don't know of any potassium test kits that could be used to check potassium levels. Potassium and phosphate are mobil nutrients in plants and as a result older leaves would be affected first as the plant moves mobil nutrients to the new growth.

I don't have any idea as to whey the guppies are dying other than the water may be too soft for them. You could get a GH test kit to determine if your water is soft or not.
Very confused - enough calcium for shrimp but not enough for guppies? Guppies dying could be temp, disease, stress, etc., but it won't be from soft water. I currently have had some at 4 dGH and 0 dKH for almost a year...

20-40 NO3 is high enough to inhibit uptake of P and K? I should be seeing this in all of my tanks then as I'm consistently over 40 ppm on water change day.

More likely is that fish and urea from root tabs are providing enough N but not enough P and definitely not enough K.
glotetra likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I never learned about macro vs micro, I will start with npk from seachem and see. My tap is very hard, and I just read the ingredients for root tab, canít see much npk there either. I am guessing slowing down on feeding due to less guppy is starting to show lack of macros. It was never really stellar to begin with.

I am about to start a new tank with organic potting soil, glad I am a bit more armed with more info now. Thanks

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode