Heavy metals in aquarium? Best way to remove? - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
@kaldurak @Wobblebonk @KevinC @tamsin @adkaquascaping

Sorry if anybody is bothered by being tagged but I wanted to give you all an update!

I made the changes to my tank and kept a single ghost shrimp alive past a molt, so I added my cherries and they seem to be doing great! No deaths form the five I've added and they've been having a blast in there and are still doing well after a water change

Thanks again for all the help and support! I'm so excited to see if they start breeding at all! And I wish I could get shrimp as cheap as y'all. I posted on every FB aquarium group in my state looking for somebody selling cherries within an hour drive and didn't get anything back, and I couldn't find any shrimp on craigslist. I guess they aren't very popular here. I ended up having to drive an hour out to a pet store that sold them for.... $7 a pop... Might have well as bought them online with how much it was just for 5... lol
adkaquascaping likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 11:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon_Snail View Post
@kaldurak @Wobblebonk @KevinC @tamsin @adkaquascaping

Sorry if anybody is bothered by being tagged but I wanted to give you all an update!

I made the changes to my tank and kept a single ghost shrimp alive past a molt, so I added my cherries and they seem to be doing great! No deaths form the five I've added and they've been having a blast in there and are still doing well after a water change

Thanks again for all the help and support! I'm so excited to see if they start breeding at all! And I wish I could get shrimp as cheap as y'all. I posted on every FB aquarium group in my state looking for somebody selling cherries within an hour drive and didn't get anything back, and I couldn't find any shrimp on craigslist. I guess they aren't very popular here. I ended up having to drive an hour out to a pet store that sold them for.... $7 a pop... Might have well as bought them online with how much it was just for 5... lol
Well, if your shrimp do well, and if you ever expand your collection - you can be the agent of change your part of the world needs.

Start breeding and selling shrimp at half their costs and then stuff a mattress with money. Undercutting the competition is the oldest tried and true business model.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My tank journal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Aye aye captain!

Shrimp! Heaven! Now!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 10:56 PM
Algae Grower

I'm glad your shrimp made it and are doing well.

I got 45 neos .. and they all died. Almost all. Apparently the tank I set up FOR them was too soft. And within 12 hours they almost all died. I saved about 8 or 10. Took 24hrs and gradually acclimated them to my 55g community tank water so I could get them out of that death trap. And a month later, I still have at least 6. Saw them yesterday when moving plants around to make room for a new iguazu sword I bought. Company said that my water parameters were done except hardness and they shouldn't have died that fast. They're shipping replacement on Monday (I was out of state for a bit so they held off on replacing them till I was home). Fingers crossed they make it this time.

Glad you're succeeding! Here's hoping I can *not* kill this order.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 08:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkaquascaping View Post
Glad you're succeeding! Here's hoping I can *not* kill this order.

Dying that quick, I'd be worried that it was something other than hardness. I'd put the new batch into your community tank and just try one or two in the first tank.
adkaquascaping likes this.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 09:38 AM
Algae Grower

Tested everything else. pH was a a little lower but they were acclimated. They were fine all afternoon and until I went to bed. Morning revealed wanton death. Tank has been running for an additional 3 weeks almost now. So we will see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamsin View Post
Dying that quick, I'd be worried that it was something other than hardness. I'd put the new batch into your community tank and just try one or two in the first tank.
I think maybe pH difference was a bit much and I didn't acclimate them long enough, get them close enough to new tank. The seller keeps them at ~7.2-7.3, my tank was on the lower end of the range at 6.42 (exactly, tested with my lab equipment haha). They got a few splashes over an hour but I think the 10-fold change in pH might have been too much. They told me it was my hardness and failed molting which seemed strange considering they had just gone in tank the day prior.

This time when they come in they're getting taken from their breather bags, going in a 5 gallon bucket, and slowly acclimated to my water over the next 24h. No chances. Hardness is fixed. pH is buffered by more than just my soil (Dennerle scapers soil) and Driftwood. The ones that managed to survive until I got home from work the following day in a tank so full of death got 24h splashed into a tank at 7.52. They're still alive as of this morning. So I know that very gradual and complete acclimation to new pH works (I brought them up to 7.4 before making final step into 7.52 tank). Idk what actually killed them. But I hope it doesn't happen again.

Putting in community isn't an option if I ever hope to get them out of it hahaha. Too heavily planted to net them back out except if I tear tank down completely. Nope.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 04:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

For mine, which come from GH18/TDS400 water, I matched the new tank to it, then changed over a few weeks to bring them down to my GH6/TDS 200 water.

I wouldn't stress much over pH, is your GH/KH a match? My tank pH swings daily just with the light cycle and they aren't fussed.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode