2Likes
  • 2 Post By nilocg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How to calculate fertilizer ppm ?

Hello,

I'd like to better understand how much nutrient I am giving to my tank when I am using the premium tropica growth. I am reading a lot on this topic and I understand that the measurement is ppm. But in the tropica instruction, it says to give 1.2 ml per 10 liter. I have no clue of the ppm I am giving.

So, for my 75L tank, if I follow instructions, I should give 9 ml each week.

I have this chart below with the composition of the bottle, but i don't know how to calculate the exact ppm of micro and macro I am pouring.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tropica.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	865741
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 07:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Here you go

Master this website:

https://rotalabutterfly.com/nutrient-calculator.php

Easy peasy nutrient calculations.

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

My 30g (25g after learning how a tape measure works) Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah, I actually already found that website, but because my hobby already became an obsession, I wanted to understand the number =).

Those number surprises me, it looks like that I should add wayyy more liquid to catch up other dosing regime.

Anyway, what I also like with the calculator is you can compare with other dosing regime. Unfortunately, the chart only show one nutrient, you can`t pick what you want. For example, it only shows Fe when I choose tropica premium.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 08:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterphonic View Post
Yeah, I actually already found that website, but because my hobby already became an obsession, I wanted to understand the number =).

Those number surprises me, it looks like that I should add wayyy more liquid to catch up other dosing regime.

Anyway, what I also like with the calculator is you can compare with other dosing regime. Unfortunately, the chart only show one nutrient, you can`t pick what you want. For example, it only shows Fe when I choose tropica premium.
That's because the calculator automatically defaults to Fe being the next most used nutrient by plants (my assumption here).

By doing that it will give you a target Fe ppm, and then follow the manufacturers ratios of other nutrients.

So, lets say you want 0.1ppm B, then adjust the Fe value until it spits out a B value of 0.1ppm. See below, a dose of 180ml will give you 0.1 B
:

"No Ice? Just Freeze Some Water"

My 30g (25g after learning how a tape measure works) Journal:

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-25-2018, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Got it! thx a lot!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hello,

I am looking at other ferts and there is something that I don`t understand about Thrive. Let me explain.

I already have Tropica fertiliser. The numbers given by the calculator are easy to understand. Click here to see composition of the tropica fertz. The maths are easy to understand. For iron, the composition says 0,069%. So, for a dosage of 1ml for 10L, we will have a composition 0,069 ppm. Same apply for all nutrients.

Now, it looks like the maths are not the same for thrive. From Thrive web page, it says that the fertiliser all in one contain the following :

For Advanced Users:
1 pump(2ml) per 10g will add ~7ppm NO3, 1.3ppm PO4, 5ppm K, and 0.25ppm Fe

Guaranteed Analysis
Total Nitrogen(N)...................2.56%
2.56% Water Soluble Nitrogen(N)
Available Phosphate(P2O5).......1.58%
Soluble Potash(K2O)..................9.74%
Magnesium(Mg)...........................0.32%
0.32% Water Soluble Magnesium(Mg)

Calcium(Ca)..................................0.02%
Sulfur(S).......................................0. 54%
0.54% Combined Sulfur(S)
Boron(B)......................................0.00 8%
Copper(Cu)..................................0.0002 %
0.0002% Water Soluble Copper(Cu)
Iron(Fe)........................................0. 42%
0.42% Water Soluble Iron(Fe)
Manganese(Mn)..........................0.168%
0.168% Water Soluble Manganese(Mn)
Molybdenum(Mo)........................0.0006%
Zinc(Zn).......................................0.0 038%
0.0038% Water Soluble Zinc(Zn)

In the calculator, if I enter 2ml for 10G, it gives me 0,2483 ppm for iron. But the percentage above says iron is 0,42%. Can someone explain what is the calculation to have 0,2483 ppm for 0,42%? It doesn't seems straightforward compared to tropica.

Thx!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 07:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
Hi Peter, I am the maker of Thrive. The analysis on the bottle is the % of the bottle that is iron and the ppm is after you add that liquid to 10g of water at a 2ml dose.

0.42% equals 4200ppm, this is the concentration of iron in the bottle of fertilizer. If you add 2ml of the solution that is 4200ppm Fe into 10g of water it looks something like this:
(2ml)4200ppm fe = (x)(37850ml)
x= 0.2219ppm fe into 10g with a dose of 2ml.
Quagulator and peterphonic like this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilocg View Post
Hi Peter, I am the maker of Thrive. The analysis on the bottle is the % of the bottle that is iron and the ppm is after you add that liquid to 10g of water at a 2ml dose.

0.42% equals 4200ppm, this is the concentration of iron in the bottle of fertilizer. If you add 2ml of the solution that is 4200ppm Fe into 10g of water it looks something like this:
(2ml)4200ppm fe = (x)(37850ml)
x= 0.2219ppm fe into 10g with a dose of 2ml.
Thx @nilocg. That helps a lot, but I do have a new question regarding rotala buterfly calculator. If we continue with the exemple above, I have the following results :

x = 2 ml
y = 37854 ml

NO3=(x*25600)/((y))*4,4268 = 5,988 ppm

PO4 = (x*15800)/(y)*0,4364*3,065= 1,12 ppm (0,4364 is to go from P2O5 to P)

K = (x*97400)/(y) = 5,146 ppm

Mg = (x*3200)/(y) = 0,169 ppm

Fe = (x*4200)/(y) = 0,2219 ppm

See below, my results differ from the rotala calculator.

1- Is it normal my numbers are not the same as rotala?

2- I find it strange that rotala show more ppm for Mg than Fe, since that the percentage for Fe is more. (I know am not a chemist, probably there is something I do not understand Like should we add part of Fe in Mg?)

3- Are rotala numbers are up to date? Do they make sense with the Thrive all-in-one? I wanted to do my own calculation for fun and to learn something, but I think I'll finally stick with rotala if it is OK.

Thx for your patience!

Tags
ppm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode