New 20G Planted tank, fertilizer questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New 20G Planted tank, fertilizer questions

Hello everyone!

Well after several articles, roaming the forums, and watching countless YouTube videos I have managed to further my knowledge and also refresh my memory on planted aquariums, since I have been on hiatus for a couple years.

I am awaiting on all my supplies to arrive and I’m going to be setting up a Nuvo Black 20. I do not want to run co2 in this tank, I have done it years ago and keeping this tank more low tech is what suits my needs right now.

There has definitely been more research and the amount of products on the market for plants has multiplied.

My question is in relation to some of the supplements I have decided to give a shot in this new tank I’m setting up. I have decided to give Thrive and Excel a shot. I was just curious to hear of some people’s experience using these two products together, if anyone has, and see how it worked out for you. I obviously have an idea in my head for dosing, Thrive 2 times a week with daily or bi-daily doses of Excel. Until I can get the tank running and planted, it’s simply me guesstimating.

For your situational awareness some/all of the plants I plan to use are:

Crypts (undecided on exacts)
Christmas Moss
UG
S. Repens

The tank specifics are as follows:

24x15x13 20G
Chihiros A series LED A601 (60CM)
ADA Power Sand
ADA Amazonia

Basically just looking to hear of some experiences and even some suggestions. Lighting is sort of a questioned area for me too, as the Chihiros is dimmable, that’s also something I will have to play with, so I’m open to hear on experiences with that as well. I know there are tons of threads all over the internet, I have searched for weeks and read and studied, looking now for more intimate discussion I suppose you could say.

Thanks in advance!

Take care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 11:32 PM
Algae Grower

If you are not using injected co2, I don't think you will need fertilizer. I never have problems growing plants and never use either. If you don't use co2 however, then what makes you think your plants will be able to utilizer fertilizer? The co2 will become a limiting factor, which is no problem unless you start adding ferts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I agree with you here. I don’t think I would need the fertilizers, since I wouldn’t be utilizing co2. I could just run the tank without them. I guess in my head, since excel has the function of adding carbon, I thought I could use excel in place of co2. Obviously not near as effective, therefore maybe requiring, or allowing the use of fertilizers. I was basically toying with this idea to try and basically maximize the plant growth as much as possible, without taking the next step to injecting co2. Unless I am completely misunderstanding how excel works and what it does, which I’m not ruling out. I’ve read so many different threads and etc over the last week, my brain could be mush.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode