Seachem equalibrium and the affects on pH - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Seachem equalibrium and the affects on pH

I read numerous articles stating that seachem equilibrium does not raise pH, but it does raise gh, I was advised to get it and add enough to get my tank up from 6 gh to 8, equilibrium adds magnesium and calcium which I do not dose as thrive does not have them in it, I have bought it but have not added it as I want to be absolutely certain it won't affect my pH
Parameters are
Kh 4 - 4.5
Gh 6
Phosphate 2.8
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 30-35
Ph 7.4
Tds 158

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 06:58 PM
Banned

If you take the ingredients Calcium sulfate, Magnesium sulfate, and potassium sulfate) listed on the bottle and put them in a tank of PH neutral water and the PH will not change. Months later the PH would still no change. I know this from my own personal experience and my understanding of the chemistry.

But keep in mind when you have growing plants the PH will change. Plants will pull minerals your of the watering some are left behind. and depending on what is left behind your PH may go up or down (most commonly down). That is why most people strive to maintain a stable KH in there tanks. KH stabilizes PH. So as long as you keep your KH stable you should be fine.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf View Post
If you take the ingredients Calcium sulfate, Magnesium sulfate, and potassium sulfate) listed on the bottle and put them in a tank of PH neutral water and the PH will not change. Months later the PH would still no change. I know this from my own personal experience and my understanding of the chemistry.

But keep in mind when you have growing plants the PH will change. Plants will pull minerals your of the watering some are left behind. and depending on what is left behind your PH may go up or down (most commonly down). That is why most people strive to maintain a stable KH in there tanks. KH stabilizes PH. So as long as you keep your KH stable you should be fine.
Okay so seachem equilibrium won't spike my pH when I add it to the tank, will the spike in gh affect my fish at all? Should I add it slowly over a few hour period? My kh is always 4-4.5 as I do 50% water changes weekly to reset values (I think that's why)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 10:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It certainly won't hurt the first time to split it into two doses to raise it gradually, then you want to re-add when you do a water change so it stays stable at the higher value.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamsin View Post
It certainly won't hurt the first time to split it into two doses to raise it gradually, then you want to re-add when you do a water change so it stays stable at the higher value.
Okay I just have very low tds in my tap water I don't know water chemistry to much as far as minerals in source water etc etc but I'm sure 52 source tds isn't a good way to tell if i have adequate calcium/magnesium which would mean I would need to dose calcium for the plants I think, I would need to test for calcium /magnesium and potassium sulphate (seachem equilibrium) to actually see if I need to dose it or not, my gh from the tap is 6 my tank is 6, I was just told if I don't have calcium in the tank my plants won't do very well. I need to look up the calculator to see what the recommended is for say 2 ppm and do like a third of that and watch the plants, i know equilibrium has nothing in it to impact my pH I just didn't know if a change in gh would affect my fish

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 12:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes, a change in gh can effect your fish, you can use the TDS pen to monitor it if you have one - just raise it a little at a time until you are happy with the value and then mix your water change water to match each time. Seachem have calculators to work it out how much to add.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode