Can you please help me? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2004, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation Can you please help me?

Dear Friends,

As you can see in my previous thread in the Algae section, i am new to the aquarium hobby. I did some tests on the water and the following are the results:

PH - 7
GH - 19
KH - 7
NO2 - less them 0.3 mg/l
NO3 - 12.5 mg/l
PO4 - between 0.5 and 1.

Can somebody guide me with regards to these results?

I still have the problem of too much algae in the aquarium and i am seeing that the plants are not in a good state as they were couple of weeks ago. I have stoped the fertilising for two weeks, now i am fertilising again using Flourish and Flourish Iron.

For more info about my problem kindly visit my other thread in the algae section.

Cheers
Ince
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 01:50 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
What size is the aquarium and how much light do you have over that aquarium?

How long has the aquarium been set up?

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 02:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ince
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I have a 160l tank.

Amount of light - 2 bulbs of 48 inches each 36W each with reflectors which are lit from 10.30 am till 8.00pm

Test Results:
PH - 7.5
GH - 18 deg
NO2 - 0.3mg/l
NO3 - 12.5mg/l

The tank has now been runing from 30.11.04 and yes i used to fertilise with tetraplant PlantaMin as stated on the bottle (5ml per 20 l every 4 weeks)

I have CO2 injection which i switch off at night.

Gravel i have 50% Flourite and 50% Normal Gravel.

Cheers
Ince
You do not have enough light on that tank, 160l is about 44 USgallons appro. can you get more light? and with the increase in light you will need to dose with KN03 and P04, the flourish line will not be a sufficient means to feed your plants.

Craig

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Dear WfxXx,

Thanks for your prompt reply. It is not a problem to add more light to the tank.

Can you please infom me how can i dose with KN03 and P04? What products should i buy?

Sorry but i am still a novice ... hehehe

Thanks once more for the interest.

Cheers
Ince
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 06:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Dwarfpufferfish
INCE,
I would also sugest more lighting... Something like 120 watts or so. Check with AHSupply.com to find lights for you tank. They seem to be the best lights for the money.

As far as your fertalizing goes, I would stop fertalizing all together for a while. New tanks do not need fertalizing for a while and algae is the only thing that eats up the ferts. Make sure you have a good test kit. Stave the algae for a little while. Then goto GregWatson.com and buy your fertalizers there.

You will need to does No3 and Po4. Both can be found at gregwatson.com. Dont worry we are all algae grows, so just be patient, everything will work out!

-------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

information.
-------------------------------------
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 12:31 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
I will also add that you need to give the aquarium a little time to settle in and begin to achieve a balance.

The aquarium is just a little less than a month old, and needs some time. An initial algae outbreak is nothing unusual.

I am not a big fan of fertilizing right off the bat, but that is just me. Since you are fertilizing, switching from the Tetra product to individual chemical fertilizers is going to allow you to dose each substance more precisely and give you greater control.

You are in Malta. I am not sure where you are going to pick up the fertilizers!

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks everybody for your comments. But this algae thing is driving me crazy. So Momotaro, do you think i should add more light to my tank? At the moment i have 2 bulbs of 48 inches each 36W each with reflectors which are lit from 10.30 am till 8.00pm.

Can somebody inform me what makes algae grow .... if it is too much light or too little light.

Thanks
Daniel
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 02:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Algae grows when there are excess nutrients in the tank that the plants aren't using - namely nitrate and phosphate. Light is also necessary, and the more light you have, the faster the algae can grow when the nutrients aren't in balance.

If you lack enough CO2 in a strongly lit tank, the plants won't grow quickly, and the algae will again take hold and spread.

If the tank is less than a month old, I wouldn't be fertilizing it much, and instead doing a good 50% water change every week.

Malkore
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3

- see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi Friends,

Thanks for all the interest ... you are really of great help to me .. i am learning all the time i spend on the forum ... but sometimes i am gettin confused as well .. hehehe.

First of all i did the tests again today ... and the following are the results:
NO2 = <0.3 mg/l
NO3 = 12.5 mg/l
GH = 18 deg
KH = 7 deg
PH = 7.0
PO4 = 0.2ppm

Using the charts on the internet
CO2 = 21 ppm

From the above results i don't think that i have a high level of nitrate and phosphate. What do you think?

Also for 160 litres of water do you think that i have adequate lights? I have 2 bulbs of 48 inches each 36W each with reflectors which are lit from 10.30 am till 8.00pm. Do you think i should alter something in my lightning setup?

Any ideas and suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Ince
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 07:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Hello Ince
I can tell you what works, first thing I would do is add more light, 3wpg minimum of 2wpg.
your focus should be getting the plants to grow faster, regardless of the nutrient levels in the tank,
Using the ph/kh scale, dial your C02 in to as close to 30 ppm as you can, make sure your nitrates and phosphate levels are in range or even on the high side,
Ignore the 10:1 ratio for now, get the plants to grow is the focus right?
Tom Barr Method, I have tested this method a few times and it will work regardless of popular opinion's

This is what I would do
Add lights to at least 3+ wpg
Day1
Dial C02 to 30 ppm
do a 50 to 70% water change.. "every week"...
Dose Dry
add enough KN03 to the level of slight excess for your tank volume (160l) 1/2 teaspoon
add enough KH2P04 to the level of slight excess even if its 2 to 4 ppm 1/16th to 1/8th teaspoon
Day2
add an excess of micro's the following day/10ml
Day3
add KN03 and KH2P04 again same amounts 1/2 teasppon / 1/8th teaspoon(no more than 3x a week)
Day4
add micro's/ 10ml (no more than 3x a week)
Be careful and keep a keen eye on the plants, they will show you what is happening.
"If" you have a good amount of light and your C02 is in range, providing you have nutrients, i.e. Macro's and Micro's your plants will grow and the algae will die off.

Unbalanced and absence of nutrients(Light,C02,macro's & micro's) is what makes algae grow.

Try that for a couple of weeks and see if things do not improve.

Craig

Last edited by WfxXx; 12-29-2004 at 09:08 AM.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 07:46 PM
Planted Member

Ha ha, Ince, I am a newbie, too, and I can sympathize.

What's good for plants (light, ferts, CO2) is also good for algae...

But....

If the plants are healthy and growing, the algae does not do as well....

Why? Nobody has come up with an explanation that satisfies me. The excess nutrient explanation does not make sense to me, since algae are microscopic, one-celled organisms and plants are complex systems, they work on different scales. Nevertheless, I have found that when the plants are healthy and growing, algae growth, although not zero, is limited.

Oh, and, plain old physical removal is a skill that I had to develop as well.

Yes, follow WfxXx's program, that is sound advice.

Last edited by ksand; 12-28-2004 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Afterthought
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 08:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ince
Dear WfxXx,

Thanks for your prompt reply. It is not a problem to add more light to the tank.

Can you please infom me how can i dose with KN03 and P04? What products should i buy?

Sorry but i am still a novice ... hehehe

Thanks once more for the interest.

Cheers
Ince
Shoot Greg and e-mail and see if he will mail to malta, I do not see why he wouldn't, he ships over sea's.
http://www.pmddstore.com/default.asp

Craig

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode