What mix of GW ferts in a 75? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
What mix of GW ferts in a 75?

I have a 75 gallon tank and i just ordered the Gregg W ferts and 3 500ml bottles and the measing spoons.
Anyway for ferts i'm going to have Iron Chelate 10%. CSM+B Plantex 1 lb. Mono Potassium Phosphate 1 Potassium Sulfate 1 lb.. Potassium Nitrate 1 lb..
So how many tablespoons should i add per 500mls to get proper amounts of mirco and macros. I'm aiming for 10ppm no3, 1 ppm po4, 20ppm K. I'd like to only have a few mixtures to dose. So how many TBS of each shoudl i mix in to dose a 75 and end up with good parameters about? I'd like to have all my macro's in one bottle and all my mircos in one bottle and dose a certain amount of ml's if possible
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 06:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
have you utilized the Chuck's Calculation page yet? The amount to add to the 500ml mixing bottle depends on the gallons in the tank and the amount of ppm you want from each mix.

Go to this link: http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_p...osage_calc.htm

as for Plantex. per Rex Griggs, "Mix 1 tablespoon of the Plantex with 500 ml of water. Dose 1 ml per 20 gallons 3x a week."

Iron, per Rex Griggs, "I can't remember if I mixed 1 or 2 tablespoons of the iron into 500 ml of water. And on my 55 gallon I dose about 2 ml of the solution a week. It seems that it was 2 tablespoons but I had a hard time getting it all dissolved. If I dose more than a couple ml a week I get green spot algae."

You may want to dose your K2SO4 dry rather than liquid though. I utilized a little algrebra today to figure out how much to use dry rather than liquid on it. If you need to know how to do this, just PM me later.

Hope this helps.

Cliff
450g Planted Discus Tank - Work in Process!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-25-2004, 12:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Another good resource is the Fertilator at at Aquatic Plant Central http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forum/fertilator.php

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-26-2004, 02:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I like that link to the fertilator because it also gives calcs for iron which is the one I've been having trouble trying to nail down. Nice link. Thanks Rex

FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-26-2004, 03:06 AM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)
Its kinda late now but I threw that link in my fav's to check out tomorrow , I have never seen the fertilator... ya gotta love the name !

Thanks Rex..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 06:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

in't that for completely dry ferts bu pre mixed with water? I don't know if i can find somethign to measure .1 a teaspoon... How can i set it up so it calculates for 500ml bottles and then tells me a ammount it well give the tank.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 09:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Don't the spoons you ordered from GW read dash, pinch, and smidgen? Respectively that is 1/8, 1/16, and 1/32 of a teaspoon. 1/32 is 0.03125 of a teaspoon, about as small as you ever need.

The best thing to do though if you really care about accuracy is to get a scale. Readability to 0.1g is fine.

Chuck's Calc handles making solutions too. You should see a "mix stock solution" option.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 12:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyboy
in't that for completely dry ferts bu pre mixed with water? I don't know if i can find somethign to measure .1 a teaspoon... How can i set it up so it calculates for 500ml bottles and then tells me a ammount it well give the tank.

Either the Fertilator or Chuck's Calculator tell you how to make stock solutions.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well i'm wanting to fidn otu info on plantex csm+b and iron. both aren't on chucks site
and only plantex is on the other deal. But it will only tell me dry amounts to toss in the tank.. which is around .1 TSP i think.. kind of small to measure out
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 12:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

On the Fertilator you need to use the Pull Down menu labeled "Calculation Type:" to get to the "Find percent solution of nutrient in water", then enter your aquarium volume. Choose Iron in CSM+B in the Nutrient menu. Enter the "Amount of dry compound added". Enter the "Volume of final solution", enter the "Desired ppm" and then it will tell you how many ml of your solution you need to add to get to your "Desired ppm",
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 03:17 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
I'm a little confused on this.. Just learning so...

I've heard that when dosing Plantex CSM/Boron, there is
really not much need to dose say like "Flourish Iron"..
Unless there is a defiencency within the plants themselves.
I know this has been mentioned before ..............

Just for the heck of it I"ve tryed to get any sort of reading
on my Test Kit "Nutrifin" For Iron levels and have just
gotten 0 Basically.. ( just dosing Plantex....)

Should I not get something on this??? ( up to date kit)

I've heard that generally Iron doesn't last long within the
water colume so when would be best to test on this...
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 12:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Iron test kits are iffy at best. Also make sure you are dosing enough Plantex to get an iron reading.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 04:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I also just got some iron chelate 10% powder from GregWatson.com. I'm not sure what to do with it though. Any one have a clue as to how much to dose.

Heres my frustration:

After a few years in this hobby, I'm still having a hard time getting my head around this whole iron / micro dosing scenario. While my growth is satisfactory, I've yet to accomplish the kind of flawless growth and color that JamesHofteizer, for instance, has achieved. My micro dosing is largely fuzzy logic mixed with a little luck and just pure "winging it".

Everyone sais, me included, dose till your iron levels are .1-.2 ppm. Then you get these comments about iron test are useless. It's my belief that iron tests are not useless

I'm starting a new thread on this subject.

Marcel

FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 10:03 PM
co2
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to co2 Send a message via Yahoo to co2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo
Don't the spoons you ordered from GW read dash, pinch, and smidgen? Respectively that is 1/8, 1/16, and 1/32 of a teaspoon. 1/32 is 0.03125 of a teaspoon, about as small as you ever need.
Just to clarify, those spoons are actually fractions of a TABLEspoon rather than TEAspoon.

-Craig

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode