Testing: JBL CombiSet vs. ProScan vs. EasyTest - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By oscarlloydjohn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Testing: JBL CombiSet vs. ProScan vs. EasyTest

Today's the first time I use JBL ProScan. Since I still have JBL CombiSet and also have Easy Test strips so why not make a massive water test! And since the EasyTest and ProScan strips look exactly the same so why not try to combine it with ProScan's card and app, right!?

Compare to Easy Test, the ProScan is really easy to use. Kinda save myself from keep on looking and looking at the stripe The result is quite perplexed.. so I'd love to here if anyone has any idea.

JBL ProScan (NO3): come with 24 test strips and a colour card that one can use the mobile app to scan for a 'more accurate' reading. The overall testing time is 1 mins.
Nitrate 25
Nitrite 0
GH >4d
KH 3d
PH 6,8
Chlorine 0
CO2 <15

JBL EasyTest: come with a lot of test strips. The method is the same as ProScan; dip, shake (of the excess water), wait and read the result. The overall testing time is 1 mins.
Nitrate 18
Nitrite 0
GH >4d
KH 1,5d
PH <6
Chlorine 0
CO2 <35

JBL CombiSet: standard liquid test kit. It doesn't have GH and Chlorine. But it has ammonia test. The overall testing time > 30 mins.
Nitrate 5
Nitrite 0.25-0.05
KH 2
PH 6.8
Ammonia <0.05

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 11:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Looks like some differences in testing. What is your opinion of the testing good or bad?
Not available in the states but good to see an easy testing system.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 07:48 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I find the JBL proscan to be pretty inaccurate when it comes to pH, my actual pH is around 6.8 with CO2 but JBL measures 7.2 no matter what water I test with it.

I do get slightly confused with the nitrate reading too. It always measures much less than my API nitrate test but I'm starting to wonder if actually the API is at fault.

I generally use the JBL proscan as a quick, rough measurement to see if anything is wrong, then I test using liquid kits if something reads abnormal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ADA mini M low tech with Cherry Shrimp and Dwarf Puffers

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWiser View Post
Looks like some differences in testing. What is your opinion of the testing good or bad?
Not available in the states but good to see an easy testing system.
Well, I guess since we're recommended to trust the liquid test more than other kind of test kit.. then i cannot say the Pro Scan in more reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarlloydjohn View Post
I find the JBL proscan to be pretty inaccurate when it comes to pH, my actual pH is around 6.8 with CO2 but JBL measures 7.2 no matter what water I test with it.
I do get slightly confused with the nitrate reading too. It always measures much less than my API nitrate test but I'm starting to wonder if actually the API is at fault.
I generally use the JBL proscan as a quick, rough measurement to see if anything is wrong, then I test using liquid kits if something reads abnormal.
I actually used the separate PH 6-7.6 liquid test from JBL, so it should be more accurate than their PH 3-10 test kit. And apparently, the liquid test result matched with the proscan result.

As for the nitrate, the result of liquid test vs proscan is sooooo different. However, I'm not that worried since the proscan gave a very much higher result. So if things goes wrong, it's likely gonna be false alarm.

But yes, similar to you, I'll keep proscan for a rough measurment.

Btw, do you know how can they get the result of CO2? There're only 6 testing panels (which is the same as Easy Test strip).
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 05:27 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by novv View Post
Btw, do you know how can they get the result of CO2? There're only 6 testing panels (which is the same as Easy Test strip).
I'd assume that the software calculates the CO2 based on pH and KH rather than using a separate testing panel.
novv and novv like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ADA mini M low tech with Cherry Shrimp and Dwarf Puffers
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarlloydjohn View Post
I'd assume that the software calculates the CO2 based on pH and KH rather than using a separate testing panel.

Aha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 08:57 AM

wow dude, how did you get the app working with the easytest? i thought only proscan has the app?

Tags
jbl combi set, jbl easy test, jbl pro scan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode