EI Dosing and Algae - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
EI Dosing and Algae

I have a heavy planted, heavy lighted, heavy co2 injected, 15 gallon tall tank. something like 13" across 13" back 19" tall. Its the Aqueon 15g column. Being high light/co2, I thought i would start adding fertilizer, so i ordered some dry ferts from NilocG. I followed the instructions on the site for combining the ferts into 500mL of water so i could add it with a syringe. I followed the 5mL per 10 gallon instructions.( I will add a photo soon of the tank and the instructions.) being 15 gallons, it calls for 7 1/2 mL micro/macro alternating days 3 days micro, 3 days macro, 7th day 50% water change. Inside the first week of dosing i got hit with algae. (Most people will say that dosing ferts is more likely to help with algae than hurt.) I stopped dosing, did my seventh day water change, and cleaned my tank. Went back to normal, crystal clear. decided to try dosing 6mL instead of 7 1/2. next day after dosing, boom algae. First, am I dosing correctly. Should I dose less with a tall tank because it has less footprint and is harder to fullly circulate. also i noticed the christmas moss toward the top has a ton of bubbles on it and has green algae accumulating on it. there is a clear cut off point where the bubbles and algae on the moss go away, about a third down. but it is opposite for the glass. top of the tank doesnt get algae on the glass until the same cut off point a third down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 04:06 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (127/100%)
What exactly does "heavily planted" mean, and what kind of plants? A full tank picture would help

Anytime there's a big swing in nutrient levels the entire system has to adjust. Turning a lean water column into a nutrient soup overnight can certainly bring about some issues.

First double check your calculations to make sure you didnt miss a decimal point or something like that, dosing 20 ppm of something that's supposed to be 2.

If your numbers check out then it might be a good idea to begin with half EI doses at first. No need to force feed EI just because everyone says it's great or based on what it's "supposed" to do. Not all tanks need such levels or do well with it

How were the plants before? Did they show signs of needing more ferts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

here are some pics. Top pic is current. bottom is just before dosing. middle is before it grew out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed-4.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	856874  

Name:	unnamed-3.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	856882  

Name:	unnamed-2.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	856890  

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 10:19 PM
Algae Grower

How long has the tank been set up and what kind of substrate are you using?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo-snickers View Post
How long has the tank been set up and what kind of substrate are you using?
Early March. March 3rd is when the tank was filled. By March 19th I had added the Christmas moss to the driftwood. As seen in the picture. Not sure of the substrate brand, but it was meant for planted aquariums. It was wet in the bag. It is CO2 injected, i do have a drop checker. Lights on from 4pm-2am, CO2 from 1pm-1am. I stopped dosing ferts and did a 50% water change and the algae has since gotten worse. I think i might remove the wood with the moss and quarantine it to a bucket of water for the time being, maybe shorten my photo period?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode