Tank Didn’t Cycle - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By mgeorges

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tank Didn’t Cycle

Hi,

I’m very close to giving up on this hobby; it’s hard haha.

I’ve been cycling my 5.5 gallon planted tank for 4 weeks now. I’ve been using the fish food method: adding some everyday.

Weeks 1-3 my ammonia went up quite high (very dark green)

Week 2-3 my nitrites were off the chart, and my ammonia started dropping.

Week 3-4 everything is at 0.

During this whole process, I never had any nitrates (maybe 1 or 2ppm, but can’t tell since the chart starts at 5ppm).

Current:
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm

So now, I’m sad cause I feel like I wasted 4 weeks.

I just want a betta fish!

Help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E2D10C46-2F98-4DEA-B5BC-A90830FE8E6C_1526592441390.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	855570  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 09:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
The lack of nitrates may be due to plants uptaking it before you get a chance to measure. As long as ammonia/nitrites read 0 consistently, even as you add more ammonia, you should be safe to add livestock.

My tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 09:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I agree with cbachmann, it sounds like you're good to go! And if you're not 100%, you're very close. Just watch parameters and do frequent water changes as necessary. Keep in mind, your tank is going to be way better than the awful little cup those bettas sit in on the shelf at pet stores...
IntotheWRX and IntotheWRX like this.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 10:51 PM
Algae Grower

Are you using the API test kit? If so, you want to make sure you are doing the nitrate test correctly. The nitrate test is the only test in the kit that requires good mixing for each step. If you read the instruction, it ask you to shake 5 sec after adding first solution, and then shake the solution 2 bottle for 30 secs before adding it, and then shake for another 1 min and then let it sit 5 min for color to develop.

I am cycling my tank right now as well, for the first 2 weeks I did all the nitrate test wrong and I saw no nitrate at all. Then one day i was bored and read the instruction and realized I was doing it wrong so I did the nitrate test again, and then I am getting 10 PPM nitrate. The ammonia, nitrite, or ph test does not require the rigorous mixing so it's easy to assume nitrate test would be the same.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone!

I might just go ahead and get my fish; I can always switch to a fish-in cycle if things get wonky.

It’s super frustrating! I feel like I’ve already waited so long (I’m impatient haha).

I’m doing the nitrate test correctly. I initially wasn’t for the first few times; then I read the instructions haha. Now I shake it like crazy.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 07:21 PM
Algae Grower

this may be controversial and others may disagree...but I say even without a cycled tank, a betta would be ok. However it will be ok as long as you keep up with regular water changes and you have a filter. So changing out 30% of the water every week with a filter on the tank. Sore bought Bettas are pretty hardy for the most part.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 08:19 PM
Banned

I agree that with the others that your plants consumed the nitrates before your tests detected it. However one additional thing is that your plants don't look great. You probably need to add some fertilizer. Thrive would be a good choice.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 08:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Just keep a bottle of seachem prime handy..Tanks not "sterile"... BB is present..
Seachem - Prime

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode