EDTA iron after CO2 on from CSM+B - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes
  • 5 Post By burr740

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
EDTA iron after CO2 on from CSM+B

So I may order some DPTA iron from GAL, along with a few other things, but figured I would post this question.

My ph is about 7.4 or so with no CO2. I drop about 1 ph with CO2 on. Knowing that the iron stays suspended better at a lower ph I have been dosing my CSM+B after CO2 has been on for about 2 hours (usually working from home...). Is this effective or worthless for me?

Would DPTA plus CSM+B work better, just dosing in the morning and not worrying about ph drop? Also easier and less likely to forget, if this works.

Also, for those of you doing micros daily, and I'm reading in on this, do both forms of iron react with phosphorus? I have been keeping PO4 at about 3.6ppm/ week right now.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 02:08 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (126/100%)
P wont react with Fe as long as the chelate holds

P at 3-4 ppm per week shouldnt be a problem for anything really.

If you're using edta Fe (csmb) yes its a good idea to dose when the PH is lowest.

6.5 is the upper threshold for edta Fe. That's just where the chelate begins to separate and you start to lose some. It's not like its all gone at 6.6

Note that to all the other micros, edta stays bound at much higher PH levels. Fe is the only real concern.

You can get by dosing earlier when the PH is higher using dtpa. It's threshold is around 7.5.

Adding dtpa along with the csmb would probably be a good idea in your case. Something like a 3:1 ratio to begin with, adjust to more if needed
dukydaf, dukydaf, Greggz and 2 others like this.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 05:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

If you have CO2 on 24/7 you donít have to worry about EDTA and DPTA specifications. (https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/11...injection.html)

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
P wont react with Fe as long as the chelate holds

P at 3-4 ppm per week shouldnt be a problem for anything really.

If you're using edta Fe (csmb) yes its a good idea to dose when the PH is lowest.

6.5 is the upper threshold for edta Fe. That's just where the chelate begins to separate and you start to lose some. It's not like its all gone at 6.6

Note that to all the other micros, edta stays bound at much higher PH levels. Fe is the only real concern.

You can get by dosing earlier when the PH is higher using dtpa. It's threshold is around 7.5.

Adding dtpa along with the csmb would probably be a good idea in your case. Something like a 3:1 ratio to begin with, adjust to more if needed
So for the 3:1 ratio, to be clear, is that 3 parts CSM+B and one DPTA? So if CSM+B is 1/16 tsp I would want something like a heaping 1/64 DPTA? Or should I still target .2ppm Fe from both on each dose?

I'm working my way through your custom micro thread, still a ton to read/learn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
If you have CO2 on 24/7 you donít have to worry about EDTA and DPTA specifications. (https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/11...injection.html)
Thanks, though I'm not going to be running 24/7.

|

Last edited by Darkblade48; 05-16-2018 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 11:37 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (126/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbins48 View Post
So for the 3:1 ratio, to be clear, is that 3 parts CSM+B and one DPTA? So if CSM+B is 1/16 tsp I would want something like a heaping 1/64 DPTA? Or should I still target .2ppm Fe from both on each dose?

I'm working my way through your custom micro thread, still a ton to read/learn!
3:1 was just a rough suggestion to use as a starting point.

If you're currently dosing .2 csmb I'd start with an additional .05 or .07 dtpa, or you could do .1

Either way you'll just have to watch how the plants respond and go from there. Might do better with more or less than whatever you start with.

The reason you want to keep csmb higher or at least even with any additional fe is so that the ratio between Fe and some of the other micros doesnt get too far out of whack.

Have you tried just raising csmb?

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Okay makes sense to me. Thanks for the reply. I have not tried adding more csmb at this point. Ideally I wanted to get out of the habit of putting the micros in around 9 or 10 am and be comfortable doing it first thing when I wake up, pre any CO2. The ph is what had me thinking as to not have all the Fe fall out by lights on/ mid-day.

I also have a thread going on Ca content as my harness is 8, and my water report does not list Ca or Mg specifically. Trying to gather my info and make a decision on what to order/ if I need to place an order.

|

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 12:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
have you tried just raising csmb?
+2.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode