Question on Micro - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question on Micro

Ok i boiled the 500ml bottle, used distilled water and kept everything as clean as could be. The bottle of micro after a month got a little black algea looking stuff in it.
The big question is should i get rid of the rest and make a new batch? Would like to know what you all have to say before i proceed to tell you the out come of continuing to use the micro.
Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 07:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I'd pitch it and start again. I add 5 ml of vinegar to my micro mix to lower pH and keep things from growing in it. I've got a couple bottles that are a couple months old, nothing is growing in them.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 07:42 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
I make macro and micro batches that will last me about 2-3 months. Always add 10% vinegar by volume - a 1000ml container will have 900ml water and 100ml vinegar (regular household vinegar).

Never had issues!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorges View Post
I'd pitch it and start again. I add 5 ml of vinegar to my micro mix to lower pH and keep things from growing in it. I've got a couple bottles that are a couple months old, nothing is growing in them.
Ok i will pitch it. I just stopped using it after fish started kicking the bucket. I will try the vinegar. Does it have to be distilled white vinegar or can i use apple cider vinegar?

Yeah it was like two weeks ago, i do .5ml every other day. I dosed at 0400. Wife called me at work said we lost an otto. Had her check water with master test kit. Everything good to go. Strange. Next day everything fine. Dosed .5ml wed morning at 0400. Wife called at work we lost a platty. Had her check water again, perfect. Did a 25% water change when i got home. Next day everything fine. Friday morning at 0400 another .5ml of micro. I do 3ml of macro every day. Wife calls me again we lost a female betta. Saturday did 50% water change and stopped using micro. But it was a day late and 7 more female bettas short. Strange thing is the 5 ottos, 3 corys, 3 pandas, 6 black neons, 6 rummys, 6 neons, and 5 plattys are all fine now that i stopped using the micro.
Other thing was no one showed signs of anything. They swam, they ate, they were active. We watch them for hours everyday. They just died, only on the days I used micro. Everyone in the tank is doing fine now that stopped using micro.
So what is growing in them that kills fish?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 08:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnhartmd051977 View Post
Ok i will pitch it. I just stopped using it after fish started kicking the bucket. I will try the vinegar. Does it have to be distilled white vinegar or can i use apple cider vinegar?

Yeah it was like two weeks ago, i do .5ml every other day. I dosed at 0400. Wife called me at work said we lost an otto. Had her check water with master test kit. Everything good to go. Strange. Next day everything fine. Dosed .5ml wed morning at 0400. Wife called at work we lost a platty. Had her check water again, perfect. Did a 25% water change when i got home. Next day everything fine. Friday morning at 0400 another .5ml of micro. I do 3ml of macro every day. Wife calls me again we lost a female betta. Saturday did 50% water change and stopped using micro. But it was a day late and 7 more female bettas short. Strange thing is the 5 ottos, 3 corys, 3 pandas, 6 black neons, 6 rummys, 6 neons, and 5 plattys are all fine now that i stopped using the micro.
Other thing was no one showed signs of anything. They swam, they ate, they were active. We watch them for hours everyday. They just died, only on the days I used micro. Everyone in the tank is doing fine now that stopped using micro.
It does need to be distilled white vinegar, don't use anything else.

Yikes, sorry for your loss. No clue what was growing in there, certain bacteria and mold do secrete toxins. I'd lean towards toxin, assuming that there's not coincidentally something else weird going on in the tank. I've got a several month old jar of micros that I didn't make correctly and never dumped. I should post a picture, it would scare you. Nasty stuff growing in that thing. I don't think that'll be getting opened, just going to pitch mason jar and all.

OreoP mentioned doing 10%, I've never had issues doing 1% distilled vinegar(5ml in 500ml bottle), but it sounds like it wouldn't hurt if you wanted to go higher. Dunno that there's any advantage, however. I would put a strong bleach solution in that container, shake vigorously, let it sit for 10-15 minutes, longer if you feel like. I'd want to make sure whatever is in that container is 100% dead.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Quote:

It does need to be distilled white vinegar, don't use anything else.

Yikes, sorry for your loss. I wonder what was growing in that solution...I've got a several month old jar of micros that I didn't make correctly and never dumped. I should post a picture, it would scare you. Nasty stuff growing in that thing. I don't think that'll be getting opened, just going to pitch mason jar and all.
Yeah this thing has some black and white hairy stuff growing in it now. Well we learn from our mistakes. It does stink that we lost so many fish before we pulled our heads out of our butts. At least we will no better for the next time.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 08:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Yeah this thing has some black and white hairy stuff growing in it now. Well we learn from our mistakes. It does stink that we lost so many fish before we pulled our heads out of our butts. At least we will no better for the next time.
I added to my previous post. If you care to delve into mycotoxins, check this out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycotoxin
Talks about toxins from Penicillium and Aspergillus, two very common molds. This is all speculation, but knowing what these molds CAN do...I always err on the side of caution and dump.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Quote:
I added to my previous post. If you care to delve into mycotoxins, check this out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycotoxin
Talks about toxins from Penicillium and Aspergillus, two very common molds. This is all speculation, but knowing what these molds CAN do...I always err on the side of caution and dump.
Interesting. Thank you for the material.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 09:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

Absolutely. Good luck. I hope the deaths do not continue.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 03:06 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I keep my solution of micros in the refrigerator. It's been there for months with nothing growing in it. For convenience, I have a small container of the micros next to the aquarium, about a months worth. When I run out, I clean out and refill from the solution in the refrigerator. No problems yet.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode