Originally Posted by Barnhartmd051977
Ok i will pitch it. I just stopped using it after fish started kicking the bucket. I will try the vinegar. Does it have to be distilled white vinegar or can i use apple cider vinegar?
Yeah it was like two weeks ago, i do .5ml every other day. I dosed at 0400. Wife called me at work said we lost an otto. Had her check water with master test kit. Everything good to go. Strange. Next day everything fine. Dosed .5ml wed morning at 0400. Wife called at work we lost a platty. Had her check water again, perfect. Did a 25% water change when i got home. Next day everything fine. Friday morning at 0400 another .5ml of micro. I do 3ml of macro every day. Wife calls me again we lost a female betta. Saturday did 50% water change and stopped using micro. But it was a day late and 7 more female bettas short. Strange thing is the 5 ottos, 3 corys, 3 pandas, 6 black neons, 6 rummys, 6 neons, and 5 plattys are all fine now that i stopped using the micro.
Other thing was no one showed signs of anything. They swam, they ate, they were active. We watch them for hours everyday. They just died, only on the days I used micro. Everyone in the tank is doing fine now that stopped using micro.
So what is growing in them that kills fish?
It does need to be distilled white vinegar, don't use anything else.
Yikes, sorry for your loss. No clue what was growing in there, certain bacteria and mold do secrete toxins. I'd lean towards toxin, assuming that there's not coincidentally something else weird going on in the tank. I've got a several month old jar of micros that I didn't make correctly and never dumped. I should post a picture, it would scare you. Nasty stuff growing in that thing. I don't think that'll be getting opened, just going to pitch mason jar and all.
OreoP mentioned doing 10%, I've never had issues doing 1% distilled vinegar(5ml in 500ml bottle), but it sounds like it wouldn't hurt if you wanted to go higher. Dunno that there's any advantage, however. I would put a strong bleach solution in that container, shake vigorously, let it sit for 10-15 minutes, longer if you feel like. I'd want to make sure whatever is in that container is 100% dead.