Anyone dosing Nilocg liquid EI ferts? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Anyone dosing Nilocg liquid EI ferts?

I have been dosing the liquid Ei ferts for about 3 months. I still haven't quite figured out the amount I should be dosing for my tank. I purchased 500ml pump bottles with the kit and he said to dose 1 pump per 8 gallons since each pump was 2ml. I did that for about a little over 2 months and thought I was over dosing, the tank instead of having an organic smell it smelled foul and strong. The plants also seemed to be doing worse. I was doing 50% water changes every 7th day. The last few weeks after a few big water changes to get the smell to go away I have been only dosing about half after a week of not dosing anything. All plants seen to be rebounding ok, some rotala before the leaves were translucent at the edges and my AR mini would shrivel up and get almost brown. Also all the leaves on my s. Repens fell off. Since the new dosing it's coming around other than the AR mini, the leaves are still a tad bit wavy and they are very wide compared to be narrow from what they should be. I haven't tested any of my tanks for years as the fish have always been healthy, and I kept discus and altums before I decided to get into the planted tank scene so ive always been use to doing water changes. Tank has been running for 3 years. Any experience or advice would be great.

Tank- 50 gallons
Substrate- aquasoil
Lights- 2 AI prime 7-8hr photo period
C02- 3-4 bps
Temp- 74-75

Chris

Chris

Last edited by Spiffyfish; 04-30-2018 at 08:30 PM. Reason: .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 11:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
I use Colin's macro compounds with no issues.

Without parameters for your water I doubt anyone will say much.
pH drop from CO2 is? Bubbles mean nothing.
GH & KH and any others you could provide may get some answers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 01:22 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
i use the thrive and have had no problems just 1 pump per 10G

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Like I said I haven't tested my water in years. I don't even own a test kit anymore. Every other plant is doing pretty good since I leaned the dosing. Ar mini is the only one I'm fighting. I have been having a problem with inline atomizers, they seem to clog up quick and are impossible to get clean to where you have a fine mist coming out again like first use. I've tried 2 different ones. The only other thing I may switch out to tomorrow is an old atomic style I have. I have more difficult plants in this tank like rotala macrandra variegated and it seems to be doing just fine.

Chris
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 04:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
What works for me with cleaning inline atomizers is a good two day soak in H2O2 frequently replacing the H2O2 with fresh and then another two day soak in distilled vinegar. Cleans mine up good as new.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5614 View Post
What works for me with cleaning inline atomizers is a good two day soak in H2O2 frequently replacing the H2O2 with fresh and then another two day soak in distilled vinegar. Cleans mine up good as new.
I've tried bleach and vinegar with no luck. After clogging I will see bubbles instead of a mist out of the outlet. Does your do the same and if so after cleaning does it go back to a fine mist?

Chris
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 05:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
It stays a fine mist the whole time. I've not had any problems with them getting so dirty I get large bubbles. I usually swap then our for cleaning every couple of months.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5614 View Post
It stays a fine mist the whole time. I've not had any problems with them getting so dirty I get large bubbles. I usually swap then our for cleaning every couple of months.
Hmm yeah my recent up aqua one clogged after about a month and a half and puts out bubbles the size of an in tank glass diffuser, but it started out as a fine mist. I cleaned it with no luck.

Chris

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode