3Likes
  • 4 Post By Maryland Guppy
  • 2 Post By Seattle_Aquarist

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lightbulb The Great Nitrate #2 Shake Debate

This has been covered left to right, up and down this forum but I have a slightly uncovered thought. The shaking is either to break up/mix the solution or to add air bubbles into it. I am usually running tests on 2-3 tanks back to back within 15-20min.

This brings up the thought about shaking bottle #2 for 30 seconds. Before my first test I shake it for 35 seconds (extra 5 to make sure). Then I shake the test itself for 65 seconds (again, extra 5 to make sure). Then typically within 20min I run another test, and I am starting to wonder if it is necessary to shake bottle #2 for 30 seconds again or if 15 seconds would be enough. By the time I get to my third test I have shaken bottle #2 for 90 seconds within an hour so I ASSUME overshaking the #2 bottle can do no harm (overshaking the test itself is a different story).

Yes I know, I am overthinking this...whats new.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 07:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
There is a plus side to this.
You must have read the directions which is way more than most!

Always shake the bottle before any testing.
Teebo, Teebo, Grobbins48 and 1 others like this.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 11:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebo View Post
This has been covered left to right, up and down this forum but I have a slightly uncovered thought. The shaking is either to break up/mix the solution or to add air bubbles into it. I am usually running tests on 2-3 tanks back to back within 15-20min.

This brings up the thought about shaking bottle #2 for 30 seconds. Before my first test I shake it for 35 seconds (extra 5 to make sure). Then I shake the test itself for 65 seconds (again, extra 5 to make sure). Then typically within 20min I run another test, and I am starting to wonder if it is necessary to shake bottle #2 for 30 seconds again or if 15 seconds would be enough. By the time I get to my third test I have shaken bottle #2 for 90 seconds within an hour so I ASSUME overshaking the #2 bottle can do no harm (overshaking the test itself is a different story).

Yes I know, I am overthinking this...whats new.
Hi Teebo,

When I contacted API they explained that the solution in the #2 bottle separates, precipitates, and crystallizes easily; the shaking is required to break up the crystallization and get the chemical back into a well mixed solution. I too do multiple tanks when doing water parameters, when doing nitrates I do the initial 30(+) second shake and then for subsequent tanks just 10 seconds or so just to insure a uniform solution in the #2 bottle. I do the full 1 minute shaking (step 6) after adding both solutions to the vial and wait the five minutes before comparing to the chart.
Teebo and Teebo like this.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 12:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
...or you can try the Salifert kit. It is much easier to distinguish the color levels and no shaking required.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode