1Likes
  • 2 Post By DaleM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY Macro Root Tabs

Hi all,

It's fairly difficult to find good macro tabs in Australia, most release Ammonia which of course isn't great for fish.

I use Seachem Root Tabs for my Amazon Sword and Banana Plant, replaced each month. However, they are pretty much micro nutrients with little NPK.

I have KNO3+K2SO4, KH2PO4 and K2SO powders for dosing. Could I freeze a small amount of power in an ice cube and use that as a root tab?

Low tech plant, no CO2. Have a Fluval Fresh and Planted 2.0, but it's dimmed down to about 50% or just under (at a guess). Standard 3ft tank with Nitrates always 10-40ppm with weekly 50% water changes or 2x 30% water changes per week. Maybe CO2 in the future, but a canister filter is the next purchase to replace the two cheap HOBs I have running.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 09:43 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Can you get Osmocote+ in Australia? This is what a lot of people use for DIY root tabs.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0071CZTK6...a-348882728086
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Can you get Osmocote+ in Australia? This is what a lot of people use for DIY root tabs.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0071CZTK6...a-348882728086
This is the closest we have, although @Seattle_Aquarist mentioned it has a high % of ammonia, so not very good with fish

https://www.scottsaustralia.com.au/s...quatic-plants/

Although with macro water column dosing, the Seachem Flourish root tabs for the swords might be enough.
Haven't started the macro dosing yet, but would only need miniscule amounts given it's low tech.
New leaves on the sword have a netted effect which is Mn deficiency. Our drinking water used to have very high levels of Manganese, but they built a water treatment plant to get rid of it. Not sure what to dose to help with Mn apart from Flourish. I only dose flourish once a week at the recommended dose (5mL per 200L), so should probably increase

Last edited by Darkblade48; 04-23-2018 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-20-2020, 12:24 PM
Algae Grower

did anyone mix clay + nutrients with cement or plaster of paris(Gypsum) to make diy root tabs?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode