The Planted Tank Forum banner

Fertilizing Amazon Swords

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  ralumaf 
#1 ·
I got yesterday my first fertilizer, Seachem Equilibrium. I have some anubias, elodeas and amazin swords. I know the swords need to be root fed. Could I encapsulate some Equilibrium into a gelatin capsule and insert it into the substrate?

#2 ·
I don't think that will work as the gelatin caps will dissolve quickly and then the Equilibrium will dissolve soon after. Equilibrium isn't really a fertiliser; rather it is an additive to raise the GH (general hardness) of soft water. It is often used when people have very soft water or are using RODI. If your water is already hard, you don't really need equilibrium.

Your plants will not be able to survive without a source of other micro and macronutrients. You can buy root tabs for the substrate and an all in one fertiliser like Flourish for water column dosing.

Hope this helps :)

#3 ·
Although equilibrium does have nutrients plants need (mainly Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, sulfur and manganese, that is only 6 of the 14 plants need. Equilibrium is mainly sold as a remineralizes or GH booster. GH boosters are necessary if you have soft water. You likely have soft water given your location is listed a Vancouver. Get a GH kit and after each weekly water change adjust the GH to 2 degrees above the tap water GH level. For this you probably should buy a GH test kit. I would then get a good fertilizer like Thrive (nilocg.com, amazon.com or other places). For root tabs I would recommend Sachem root tabs. These three should cover most of the nutrients plants need.

The 14 nutrients plant need are:
nitrogen(N), phosphorus(P), potassium(K), CalciumCa), Magnesium(Mg), Sulfur(S). These are collectively call macros (Plants need a lot of these.

Micro nutrients are: Chlorine(cl), Iron(Fe), Boron(B), ManganeseMn), zinc(Zn), copper(Cu), molybdenum (Mo), nickel (Ni). Plants need less of these.

Most fertilizers don't have Calcium. Other fertilizers don't have sulfur. Which is a good reason to use the Equilibrium. If any of the above nutrients are missing your plants may not grow or grow very slowly. Slow plant growth typically Encourages algae growth. While rapid plant growth tends to suppress Algae growth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.