My cycle is wierd - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My cycle is wierd

Let me start off by saying that I have a already established tank that I I have taken some media from, it is a 75 Gallon.

I placed two large sponge filters in this tank prior to setting the new tank up which is a 180 with 40 sump, 200 total volume estimate. I did not hook up any air to the sponges. I also added 2 bottles of Tetra Safestart Plus ( have never used this before )

I dosed the new tank to 4 ppm using 10% ammonia solution. Over the next couple days, nothing changed. I then added my other sponge from the 75 which has been running
for almost a year in there so I know it is seeded versus the other one which may not have had the time to colonize.

Ammonia started dropping but I was still not seeing nitrite and had very little nitrates, roughly 10 ppm. I thought that may have been my tap water which is on a well, so I tested it, it comes back at 0 ppm. I redosed to 3 ppm

As a final idea, I hung one of the AC110's on the sump of the 180 to get some some more bacteria in the system ( don't worry, the 75 still has a Eheim 2217 and a AC110 on it, so it's in no danger of crashing. )

This morning I tested, and my ammonia is roughly 1 or 2 ppm, nitrite 0 and nitrate about 30-40 ppm.

I've never had a cycle like this, so it's kind of confusing. I do have a couple Amazon swords in there also. Should I just continue the way I'm going and keep dosing until my ammonia processes to 0 over 24 hours and ignore the nitrite reading, maybe it is processing before I can test ? Should I do water change ? If so how much is recommended.

Thanks Guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 03:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This isn't a concern or that uncommon. Your nitrobacter bacteria just needs to catch up. I find it colonizes faster when ammonia levels are lower. 4 ppm is a lot to dose and I doubt most people will overstock to the point where they would need a colony of bacteria of this scale. I know it's common practice to establish such a large colony of bacteria during cycling but a majority of them will die out as soon as you add fish. The fish just can't produce enough waste to keep all that bacteria fed, so they die off. This is where you will see that cloudy water that some people refer to as a bacteria "bloom".
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcrafted View Post
This isn't a concern or that uncommon. Your nitrobacter bacteria just needs to catch up. I find it colonizes faster when ammonia levels are lower. 4 ppm is a lot to dose and I doubt most people will overstock to the point where they would need a colony of bacteria of this scale. I know it's common practice to establish such a large colony of bacteria during cycling but a majority of them will die out as soon as you add fish. The fish just can't produce enough waste to keep all that bacteria fed, so they die off. This is where you will see that cloudy water that some people refer to as a bacteria "bloom".
Thank,

I'm only dosing to 3 ppm now, should I drop to 2 ppm for future dosing ?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 03:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

2 ppm is fine. I usually shoot for 1-2 ppm depending on what I'm stocking. I usually seed my new tanks like you did too. Most times I just shoot for 1 ppm for the first week or so, then when I see it being completely processed overnight, I'll check nitrites. I don't even bother checking for them any sooner. I very seldom see nitrites spikes over 1 ppm. Once I see a hint of lavender-ish in my sample, I know the ammonia is being converted and I'll drop ammonia dosing down to .50 ppm and continue until I see both ammonia and nitrites zero out before checking for nitrates. I continue doing this until nitrates are around 40-50 ppm. Once they reach these levels, I do a water change and prepare for stocking. That's about it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode