Tetra EasyStrips and Seachem Nitrogen - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2018, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tetra EasyStrips and Seachem Nitrogen

Will this specific product detect Seachem Nitrogen? Links below... I've dosed Nitrogen via Seachem but I still never detect nitrogen in my water the following day after using this, I do not want to overdose or underdose...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 07:00 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Test strips are in general, notoriously inaccurate. Your difficulties in detecting measurable nitrate levels is further compounded by the fact that Seachem nitrogen is likely very dilute, making the actual levels in your aquarium barely detectable.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2018, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
Test strips are in general, notoriously inaccurate. Your difficulties in detecting measurable nitrate levels is further compounded by the fact that Seachem nitrogen is likely very dilute, making the actual levels in your aquarium barely detectable.
What product do you recommend (I prefer to buy through Amazon if you provide links) for weekly or biweekly dosing of macronutrients in a high tech med-high light setup for a 16 gallon tank? Also is testing for nitrates, phosphates, potassium necessary or is it easy enough to rely on cues given from your plant's rate of growth? Thanks for any help!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 04:43 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
I wouldn't recommend any commercially available products, as they will be expensive in the long run. Commercial products are generally quite dilute, so you are essentially paying for water.

You can buy bulk chemicals (potassium nitrate, potassium sulfate, potassium phosphate, as well as a good trace mix) that would meet all your needs quite easily.

As for testing, I have found the API test kit to be of reasonable quality, given its pricing.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 08:04 PM
Banned

The tretra strips will detect nitrate. Seachem nitrogen does contain nitrate. I made solutions of nitrate with known concentration and a found the tests strips were reading accurately. The problem is not the test strip it is how people use them.

The wrong way:
Put it in the water and move it around for about a minute. Remove it slowly horizontally with big drops of water on the indicator pads.

The right way:
Hold it vertically Submerge it in the tank for 1/2 to 1 second Remove it vertically very fast. Most of the water falls off the indicator pads.

The other issue you may have is that the recommended dosage doesn't put a lot of nitrate in the aquarium. It may not be enough to register on the test strips. If you have no nitrate in your water follow the expert instructions on the bottle and dose to 10ppm.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode