N or K deficiency? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By KrustyKrab

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
N or K deficiency?

Tank is 29 gallon. Most of the plants are Anubias, Barteri & Nana. Also have some Najas, Anacharis and Ceratopteris floating....and a few Ludwigia.

I keep getting these holes in the Anubia leaves, like in the 1st picture. Makes me think of a K deficiency, but not sure.

Lights - 10.5watt led (around 35 diodes), don't know more about them, it is the stock lighting of my Juwel Primo.

I dose Easy Life Pro Fito once per week, as I don't have Co2. - half of the recommended dose. Pro Fito is something in the likes of Fluorish. Iron, Micros and some K.

Total Nitrogen: 0.03% * Available Phosphate (P2O5): 0% * Soluble Potash (K2O): 0.58% * Iron (Fe): 0.24% * Magnesium (Mg): 0.09% * Boron (B): 0.008% * Copper (Cu): 0.0002% * Manganese (Mn) : 0.04% * Molybdenum (Mo): 0.002% * Zinc (Zn) : 0.002%. Derived from Pentetic Acid, Potassium Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Magnesium Chloride, Boric Acid, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Molybdate, Zinc Sulfate.

The tank has a low bioload : 29gallons - 4 tiny Peacock Gudgeons and an Ancistrus gold.

Since I've recently floated a whole bunch of Anacharis at the surface, and I don't feed the fish on a daily basis, I am torn between a N def and K. I know holes in the leaves usually means K is low.
The affected Anubia is at least 4 years old, if that matters??

The Ludwigia Glandulosa aren't planted in the substrate(too shallow) , but they are stuck in some cylindrical sponges and hidden behind wood. They have gotten a bit of red on the new growth, but it is smaller and smaller. No pinholes or yellowing lower leaves though. Some Anacharis leaves becoming transparent(melting), but it keeps on growing new shoots. Should I remove some and give the other plants a chance??

I also have a bottle of Easy Life Nitro, which contains N and some K apparently. I was wondering if I maybe should dose that too ( although I haven't done any N test)

Here are some pics, advice is apreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	846769  

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	846777  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This is what the leaf ended like. N deficiency? No other leaves have yellowed though. I've added 6 Honey gourami in my tank meanwhile.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	848881  

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 09:30 PM
Banned

Your fertilizer have almost no nitrogen (N) or phosphate (P) in it. But is does have potassium (K) in it. So my guess it is a nitrogen deficiency Typically you want about 10 times more nitrogen than phosphate in the water. Potassium nitrate and mono potassium phosphate are the typical fertilizers. If you dose these at a 10 to 1 ratio you should be very close to the needed potassium levels.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 09:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi @KrustyKrab,

Can you tell me a little about your water parameters please? Specifically pH, dKH, and dGH. If you don't know then can you provide where you live and the name of your local water utility. Would you describe the water you are using in your tank as 'soft', 'average', or 'hard'? Lastly, could you provide a picture of the stems of your Ludwigia glandulosa showing the newer leaves?

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi @KrustyKrab,

Can you tell me a little about your water parameters please? Specifically pH, dKH, and dGH. If you don't know then can you provide where you live and the name of your local water utility. Would you describe the water you are using in your tank as 'soft', 'average', or 'hard'? Lastly, could you provide a picture of the stems of your Ludwigia glandulosa showing the newer leaves?
Hi,

I managed to find a Pdf from January from my water company. They have changed admin or something, I cannot seem to find more recent details. I'll get back on that.

I live in Europe and the numbers are given in °fH (French degrees) - I tried to use online converters but I don't know how to use them properly, so I give you the original values in °fH

First, my PH is at 8.04 on the chart.....I measured it in my tank and it is at 7.5.

KH or TAC as they call it here, is 13.4 °fH on chart

Total hardness (pretty sure that is the GH) is stated at 17.3 °fH on the chart.

Calcium 62 mg/l (1 mg/l equals 1 ppm, right?)

Mg - 4.1 ppm

Potassium - 1.9 ppm

Nitrate - 13.2 , Nitrite <0,02

Total iron <20,0 μg/l (I've no idea how much that is in ppm)

Conductivity (is this the TDS)? - 375 μScm-1

The Ludwigia Glandulosa new leaves are still small, but not discolored, from what I heard it is a slower grower than other Ludwigias. I will post some pics tonight.

Thanks for the help

Last edited by KrustyKrab; 04-23-2018 at 07:42 AM. Reason: add
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Calcium 62 mg/l (1 mg/l equals 1 ppm, right?)
Yes 62ppm.

Quote:
Total iron <20,0 μg/l (I've no idea how much that is in ppm)
0.02ppm. one mg is 1000ug.

Quote:
I live in Europe and the numbers are given in °fH (French degrees) - I tried to use online converters but I don't know how to use them properly, so I give you the original values in °fH
Based on a converter I found with google it appears 1FH= 10ppm CaCO3 equivelent.

So your 17fH is about 170ppm and your KH 13fH is about 124ppm KH. Your water is a bit hard with a calcium to magnesium ratio of 16 to 1. Commercial GH boosters average about 3 to 1 or 4 to 1 Ca / Mg ratio.

Quote:
Nitrate - 13.2 , Nitrite <0,02
This indicates your tap water probably has some nitrate in it. You need to use a nitrate test kit to determin the amount in your tank.

Quote:
Potassium - 1.9 ppm
There is a chance you are deficienct in potassium. It depends on how much is provided by the fertilzier.

Quote:
I keep getting these holes in the Anubia leaves, like in the 1st picture. Makes me think of a K deficiency, but not sure. I know holes in the leaves usually means K is low
Holes in the leaves can be caused by a number of different deficiencies.

Quote:
Since I've recently floated a whole bunch of Anacharis at the surface
Anacharis is a fast growing plant. Adding it to your tank increased nutrient consumption so that the Anubias is now having difficulty getting what it needs.

The high calcium and levels in your tap combined with essentially no N and P in your fertilizers. Has probably resulted in a N and P deficiency and possibly a magnesium potassium deficiency.

Monitor your tank nitrate levels with a test kit and try to keep the nitrate at 10ppm. I would also add 1ppm of phosphate. This would also add quite a bit of potassium. I would also add about 15ppm of magnesium sulfate (Epsom salt) to get your calcium magnesium levels a bit more balanced.

You can use Rotalabutterfly.com to hep determine exactly how much to add to reach the targets I suggest.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have managed to get the water parameters chart from my water company website. They have indeed changed ownership or something, as the website and also some of the parameters are different now.

Here is the updated chart. The only thing missing completely from my water is Mg. I will buy some Epsom salts from a pharmacy these days

According to RotalaButterfly ,if I select "dose to reach a target" , I will need to add around 15 grams in order to reach 15ppm,

If I select Ei low light/weekly, it says I need to add only 5 grams in order to reach 5 ppm.(which is considered as the target dose for this method)

The fertilizer I use states it contains 0.09% Mg, I have no idea how this would affect my dosing. And how much should I approximately dose then?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Water Params.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	849961  

Name:	Mg dosing Calc.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	849969  

Name:	Mg dosing Ei.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	849977  

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I finally got a nitrate test - No3 is around 15 ppm. I've also dosed epsom salts along the week, about 6 ppm so far.

Meanwhile i've started to lose the oldest leaves of the oldest Anubias Barteri (around 5years old) - they melt from the tip and yellow all the way to the leaf petiole ....I've lost 3 leaves in a week. The Anubias Nana and Congensis I've bought more recently do not show such symptoms.

I have also a Ceratopteris that keeps on browning up. It is attached to a piece of driftwood. Still no clue about what causes this

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode