Lucky bamboo with unknown fertiliser - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lucky bamboo with unknown fertiliser

So I got some lucky bamboo from my local Bunnings (hardware store/nursery) with the intent to put in two of my HOB filters. Anyway it reeks of fertiliser and I was wondering if it could harm my fish? if so does anyone know of a way to clean it off the bamboo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 08:31 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
It sure could.
If it came in a plastic basket then remove it.

I have no idea how to decontaminate hazmat bound plants. The first thing that comes to mind is to put it in a container treated with Prime. If that container has a water hyacinth then so much the better.

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Lucky bamboo with unknown fertiliser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
It sure could.
If it came in a plastic basket then remove it.

I have no idea how to decontaminate hazmat bound plants. The first thing that comes to mind is to put it in a container treated with Prime. If that container has a water hyacinth then so much the better.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2647.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	845794 Thatís the bamboo still in the container I got it in, itís not a big deal if I canít put it in the filters. unless thereís a surefire way to clean it Iíll probably just put it in a paloderium.

Could you please explain the water hyacinth thing? I didnít understand sorry

Ps. Donít mind my Betta he think Iím going to feed him

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 09:54 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Water hyacinth is used in water purification plants

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eichhornia_crassipes

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 12:26 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimfer View Post
So I got some lucky bamboo from my local Bunnings (hardware store/nursery) with the intent to put in two of my HOB filters. Anyway it reeks of fertiliser and I was wondering if it could harm my fish? if so does anyone know of a way to clean it off the bamboo?
I bought those same ones from Bunnings a few years ago. Washed them and left the roots for a day in a bucket of dechlorinated tap water then put them in my tank. They did great. No issues. Make sure the leaves are out of the water, but I guess you know.
Side note: water hyacinth is considered an invasive specie and is prohibited in Victoria. Maybe other states too Water Hyacinth | State prohibited weeds | Weeds | Pests, diseases and weeds | Agriculture | Agriculture Victoria
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthOfM View Post
I bought those same ones from Bunnings a few years ago. Washed them and left the roots for a day in a bucket of dechlorinated tap water then put them in my tank. They did great. No issues. Make sure the leaves are out of the water, but I guess you know.

Side note: water hyacinth is considered an invasive specie and is prohibited in Victoria. Maybe other states too Water Hyacinth | State prohibited weeds | Weeds | Pests, diseases and weeds | Agriculture | Agriculture Victoria

Im happy to hear the bamboo worked so well for you. Iím still kinda unsure about it tho as thereís always a chance they changed their fertiliser at some point. Although it is probably just paranoia, I think Iíll do the same as you but leave it for a week in the container and do regular water changes (canít be too careful) Iíll decide whether to put it in my filters after that.

Ahh thanks good to know about the water hyacinth, Iíve never seen it for sale here in the act and I know weíre pretty strict on invasive species. so while it seems useful sounds like a no go.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode