Red natural Clay powder - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 9
Hello,

Just like to know, where can i find Natural red clay powder to use in the aquarium or root tabs? I found this on Amazon but not sure if i can use it in the tanks. please advise, thanks

https://www.amazon.com/Clay-Powder-B...%2Bpowder&th=1

Could someone please let me know where to get the natural red clay powder?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 04-16-2018 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sharyqta is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 02:34 PM
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: snowdrifts, New England
Posts: 248
I'd be more inclined to look under dietary or herbal supplements for it. If you do a google search you see a lot of mention of copper oxides along with the iron oxides. Soils around places that have had a long standing ceramics industry are noted for heavy metals.

They do sell this stuff Red Lake Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth

which is a feed supplement and is used to make animal feed pellets stick together better and slip from the machinery better. You can get a 40lb bag for $20 at feed stores. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/se...20lake%20earth

No idea how long it will stay balled up in tank gravel but I think they all start falling apart fast.
kozlany is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kozlany View Post
I'd be more inclined to look under dietary or herbal supplements for it. If you do a google search you see a lot of mention of copper oxides along with the iron oxides. Soils around places that have had a long standing ceramics industry are noted for heavy metals.

They do sell this stuff Red Lake Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth

which is a feed supplement and is used to make animal feed pellets stick together better and slip from the machinery better. You can get a 40lb bag for $20 at feed stores. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/se...20lake%20earth

No idea how long it will stay balled up in tank gravel but I think they all start falling apart fast.
Thanks for the response. Is that the Red Lake food also consider clay? I found an other Pottery shop which says they have natural red clay powder. Any opinion on this link?
https://www.soundingstone.com/collec...ant=9849084740
Sharyqta is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 08:33 PM
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: snowdrifts, New England
Posts: 248
Honestly I don't know. The red lake earth is a mix of clay and DE.

I don't bother with root tabs. I've seen no need for them. My swords grow plenty fast without them.
kozlany is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kozlany View Post
Honestly I don't know. The red lake earth is a mix of clay and DE.

I don't bother with root tabs. I've seen no need for them. My swords grow plenty fast without them.
Ok, I dirt my tank three years ago and never have to use any fertilizers or the root tabs. The dirt ran out of the nutrients, i am using Flourish tabs and liquid but not the results as i used to have. Thats the reason, i want to have root tabs in the aquarium bed as I am not looking to re-do the whole tank and change the substrate.
Sharyqta is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 09:19 PM
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (8/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: snowdrifts, New England
Posts: 248
Mine probably ran out 12 yrs or so ago. It was only a single bag of eco complete and some cheap gravel in a 75 gallon tank. I just dose the water column.
kozlany is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 9
I am also dosing the water column with the NPK liquid but seeing not much growth. I do have high light plus pressurized CO2 running. I bought dry pre-mixed fertz and made the micro macro fertilizer.
Sharyqta is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 02:47 AM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 16
Incidentally, I had the same idea last week. I used to make root tabs with just a block of red clay from the craft store and some dry ferts. Worked fine years ago, but it was way more clay than I needed, and it took up a lot of space and inevitably dried out on me. I was thinking about the seed bomb mix while I was at the nursery recently, so I picked up the same clay powder that you listed in your first link. Mixed it up tonight with some organic soil-less compost mix that I have for the yard. I figure that has a lot of nutrients, so maybe I'll forego the added dry fertilizers this time. The clay mixed up fine with just a little water, and I've got about 20 little tabs drying in the back yard now. I'm restarting an old tank, so I thought it might help to revitalize the substrate a bit, and I didn't feel like completely tearing it down and putting soil beneath the gravel. We'll see how it works out over the next few months, I suppose. The biggest drawback I've had in the past is that the clay is just a mess to clean if you're later tearing down the tank. It just turns into red muddy goo when disturbed, so you've got to stick it down in there and then leave it alone...for good.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
blue tom is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 04:06 AM
Algae Grower
 
hygropunk's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Central California
Posts: 106
This may seem a little odd... but have you considered cosmetic-grade clay?

https://tkbtrading.com/products/natural-claywarm-adobe

This site has Safety Data Sheets for most of its pigments, and/or a breakdown of the mineral components. Search for 'natural clay' or 'iron oxide'. May be too expensive for your needs, but at least you'd know exactly what's in it. I used these to tint Drylok for a few projects.
hygropunk is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue tom View Post
Incidentally, I had the same idea last week. I used to make root tabs with just a block of red clay from the craft store and some dry ferts. Worked fine years ago, but it was way more clay than I needed, and it took up a lot of space and inevitably dried out on me. I was thinking about the seed bomb mix while I was at the nursery recently, so I picked up the same clay powder that you listed in your first link. Mixed it up tonight with some organic soil-less compost mix that I have for the yard. I figure that has a lot of nutrients, so maybe I'll forego the added dry fertilizers this time. The clay mixed up fine with just a little water, and I've got about 20 little tabs drying in the back yard now. I'm restarting an old tank, so I thought it might help to revitalize the substrate a bit, and I didn't feel like completely tearing it down and putting soil beneath the gravel. We'll see how it works out over the next few months, I suppose. The biggest drawback I've had in the past is that the clay is just a mess to clean if you're later tearing down the tank. It just turns into red muddy goo when disturbed, so you've got to stick it down in there and then leave it alone...for good.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks so much to reply, I found a potter shop locally and they sale red art clay which just comes from the ground. He told me its 100% natural as its mined from the ground. So do you think the red natural clay powder wont be good to use in my root tab project. Please let me know how the seed ball clay powder turns out to be in the root tabs. Which nursery did you buy this seed ball clay powder?

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hygropunk View Post
This may seem a little odd... but have you considered cosmetic-grade clay?

https://tkbtrading.com/products/natural-claywarm-adobe

This site has Safety Data Sheets for most of its pigments, and/or a breakdown of the mineral components. Search for 'natural clay' or 'iron oxide'. May be too expensive for your needs, but at least you'd know exactly what's in it. I used these to tint Drylok for a few projects.
Thanks, this could be an alternative but a bit pricey. I am not sure if the Phosphorus contains in the clay will cause any major algae issues in the tanks?

any idea?
Sharyqta is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 05:12 AM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharyqta View Post
Thanks so much to reply, I found a potter shop locally and they sale red art clay which just comes from the ground. He told me its 100% natural as its mined from the ground. So do you think the red natural clay powder wont be good to use in my root tab project. Please let me know how the seed ball clay powder turns out to be in the root tabs. Which nursery did you buy this seed ball clay powder?

Well, my first experiment failed, because it rained before I brought in my dried clay tabs from outside, so they melted all over the top of my grill. I haven't made more yet, but I salvaged some of the clay after it dried (probably lost some of the nutrients to the rain), and I just shoved it under the gravel where it made sense. I'll make some more soon.

You can't ever really say just how "natural" something is, regardless of the claims made by its purveyor. That said, the red clay from your local potter is probably fine to use. I got my clay powder off Amazon, same as the one you first linked to; I just had the idea to use the clay+soil seed bomb mix in the aquarium that morning while I was buying landscape plants. No adverse effects yet. The few plants and animals in my tank so far are doing fine.
blue tom is offline  
Reply

Tags
diy roottabs, fert schedule, fert tab, fertilization

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome