Tds - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
Tds

O.K. after researching I know what TDS is basically heavy metals in the water.Questions are what do you use to test for it name brands if possible,the need to test for it??? and the best way to correct it??? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 04:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
https://www.amazon.com/HM-Digital-TD...ords=tds+meter

That's the one I use, great meter. TDS is basically the accumulation of everything, you'll see it rise throughout the week as you add ferts and if you have rocks that leach, they'll impact it too as will decaying plant matter. I raise TDS of RODI water by remineralizing - adding back in Mg and Ca for GH, and sodium bicarbonate for KH. This generally brings my TDS up near 200 from 0. The way to lower your TDS if it is rising through the week is simply doing a water change. The need to test for it depends on what you're keeping. For sensitive fish and shrimp, it's not a bad idea to check TDS occasionally.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 04:20 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
https://www.water-research.net/index...ssolved-solids

Courtesy * Integrity * Perseverance * Indominable Spirit * and Self Control
Tenets of TKD

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 04:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogy262 View Post
O.K. after researching I know what TDS is basically heavy metals in the water.Questions are what do you use to test for it name brands if possible,the need to test for it??? and the best way to correct it??? thanks

Sounds like you have some more research to do still. TDS is everything that is dissolved in the water. There is not necessarily a need to "correct" anything when it comes to TDS. If you have a reading of say 100 TDS in your tank and I have the same TDS reading of 100 that does not mean we have the same things in our water. We just both happen to have roughly the same amount of stuff in the water. That could be because one of us adds fertilizers and the other doesnt. It could be that one of us has not done a water change in a long time; or it could mean we just did one 5 minutes ago.

TDS tells you whether or not you have "stuff" in your water. "Stuff" is not always a bad thing though. The next step is to figure out what it is that is actually dissolved in the water; and then you might need to try and make a correction one way or another.

As far as measuring, you want a TDS meter. Name brands shouldn't matter much. Most of the affordable TDS meters you'll see on places like amazon or online auctions are no name things likely made in China. But the work well enough for our purposes.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
As always thanks for the replies and your right can't do to much research.Just to clarify my situation.I have a 90 gal. Discus tank that has been up for a little over a year and thanks to discus Paul and a few others I may be on the road to sucess after a fer expensive failures.changes I have made include removing about 80% of the plants,cutting back to once a week on the ferts,doing water changes every other day and raising the temp to 84,since those changes I have had a dramatic change in the health of my fish,I now have 7 5-51/2inch Discus doing great,my thing with the TDS was that the one issue I have or may be imagining is water clarity and I read that excess TDS can have an effect but with every other day water changes I now feel that is not the issue.I have been told by many that I am paranoid and obsessed with this tank because they say it is clear as can be[GUILTY] but my 40 and 45 are so clear that if the water was not moving you would think they were empty.I have a eheim skimmer coming because one issue is an oily film I can't get rid of even with the spray bar pointing up and that may be what I am seeing I don't think it is the light so will have to wait and see...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 09:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
TDS is dissolved stuff, if you have bits in your water you can see they are probably suspended particles not dissolved. Using some fine filter floss may help get that last little bit of extra clarity.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode