0 ppm nitrates after first thrive all in one fert dosing - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By MCFC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
0 ppm nitrates after first thrive all in one fert dosing

I did 30% water change before dosing thrive all in one for the first time. But now 5 hours after dosing, my nitrates are at 0. I was using the flourish fundamentals before buying this and still have some left over. Should I add more thrive, add more flourish, let it be or buy some supplemental ferts? I have a 65 gallon tank, pressurized CO2, and high powered lights. I have also been battling a diatom outbreak for a couple weeks(Iím thinking from over feeding and have since slowed down on feeding) but the tank is only two months old. This is my first aquarium

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 02:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you are using API liquid test kit you have two options:

1. Throw it out because the API test is junk

2. Follow the instructions very closely, smashing bottle #2 against a hard surface until it almost busts open, and then hope your results are relatively close to being valid.
NoCheddar and NoCheddar like this.

Blue Moon Rising!!!

My Journal -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Retired)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCFC View Post
If you are using API liquid test kit you have two options:

1. Throw it out because the API test is junk

2. Follow the instructions very closely, smashing bottle #2 against a hard surface until it almost busts open, and then hope your results are relatively close to being valid.

Lol. It says itís a ďmaster test kitĒ though

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 02:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just google API nitrate test problems and you'll see how accurate the "master" part is . There are at least a few threads a week on here where someone is having issues with it.

Blue Moon Rising!!!

My Journal -

(Retired)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Just google API nitrate test problems and you'll see how accurate the "master" part is . There are at least a few threads a week on here where someone is having issues with it.

Ok gotcha. So you think I have nothing to worry about as far as nitrates if I do the dosing as instructed on thrives bottle?

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 03:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would trust Colin (nilocg) over the API test kit every day of the week.

That being said, I'm not a huge fan of using test kits to tailor my ferts. I think it's a lot more beneficial to try and use plant responses to gauge one's fertilization levels. Are the plants growing well and you're getting minimal algae? Then you're on the right track. Plants not growing well? There are a set of characteristic physiological responses in the plants that give you clues as to what is wrong. Lots of algae? Each different type of algae is usually caused by a limited set of factors. Play with each independently until you find plant growth>algae growth. Just my 2 nickels though

Blue Moon Rising!!!

My Journal -

(Retired)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 03:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCheddar View Post
Quote:
Just google API nitrate test problems and you'll see how accurate the "master" part is :-). There are at least a few threads a week on here where someone is having issues with it.

Ok gotcha. So you think I have nothing to worry about as far as nitrates if I do the dosing as instructed on thrives bottle?

Repeat the test with the instructions @MCFC gave. You literally have to bang the hell out of bottle #2 for 30+ seconds. then shake the vial for 1 minute. You'll get a different result and you can determine whether you have sufficient N at that point.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
I would trust Colin (nilocg) over the API test kit every day of the week.

That being said, I'm not a huge fan of using test kits to tailor my ferts. I think it's a lot more beneficial to try and use plant responses to gauge one's fertilization levels. Are the plants growing well and you're getting minimal algae? Then you're on the right track. Plants not growing well? There are a set of characteristic physiological responses in the plants that give you clues as to what is wrong. Lots of algae? Each different type of algae is usually caused by a limited set of factors. Play with each independently until you find plant growth>algae growth. Just my 2 nickels though

Sounds like the right state of mind. Thank you for the response. I caught the aquarium disease and although Iíd like to to a DIY fert set, I feel like I canít. My girlfriend already gets a little annoyed or jealous in the amount time and thought I put into this tank so Iím doing this all in one lol

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 11:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The standard dose of most ferts only adds about 3-5ppm of nitrate, so it may be it's just not enough for the colour change to register. You do also need to really shake the bottle to get the test to work.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 07:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Make sure your test bottles are still within the expiration date. I had an out of date one that wouldn't register. I'm also not a fan of the API nitrate test, but after calibrating my kit I can see that it really does work and have a lot more faith in it. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/11...-chemists.html
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 03:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I was not aware that we have to shake the bottle, and once the solution is in the test tube, we're to shake the tube as well? Wow, today I learned...

20 Gallon jungle tank
2.8 Gallon Fluval Spec
2.5 Gallon DHG shrimp tank
2 Gallon Sparkling Gourami underworld

RAOK CLUB #0
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 03:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raith View Post
I was not aware that we have to shake the bottle, and once the solution is in the test tube, we're to shake the tube as well? Wow, today I learned...
For bottle #2, you're not just shaking the bottle, you gotta pound that bottle against the wall/table or another hard surface a while. From my understanding, the chemicals in the #2 bottle can settle down at the bottle of that bottle, and needs to be hit hard a few times to really mix it up.

Smash it around a bit and re-test, you might get a different reading

(Retired)

(Retired)

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 03:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonxflare View Post
for bottle #2, you're not just shaking the bottle, you gotta pound that bottle against the wall/table or another hard surface a while. From my understanding, the chemicals in the #2 bottle can settle down at the bottle of that bottle, and needs to be hit hard a few times to really mix it up.

Smash it around a bit and re-test, you might get a different reading
I'm kicking it out of retirement, hooooorah!!

20 Gallon jungle tank
2.8 Gallon Fluval Spec
2.5 Gallon DHG shrimp tank
2 Gallon Sparkling Gourami underworld

RAOK CLUB #0

Last edited by Raith; 04-09-2018 at 05:32 PM. Reason: edit

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode