Water testing... - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Surf

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Water testing...

I'm getting back into the hobby after a lot of years, and am wondering what the best stuff is for testing these days.

I know I'm going to want to test for specific stuff.
  • nitrate
  • phosphate
  • calcium
  • alkalinity

I have a pH meter and a refractometer already. I'm thinking I'm not gonna bother with ammonia or nitrite if I don't have to. I understand the nitrogen cycle and am okay with taking a month to cycle, unless there have been some "oooh cool instacycle actually works now" developments.

I'm starting with a planted tank first, but will probably get brackish and reef tanks started possibly late this year.

Would appreciate y'all's thoughts: What's my best option here?

I'm seeing these Hanna eggs for a few things. Are they really as great as people make them sound?

Phosphate, in particular, is a question. The last place I lived in, we had phosphates in the tap water. I have no idea if that's true in this house. Do I start with a test kit? Go straight to an egg? Low? Ultra-Low?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 03:12 AM
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have a Hanna low range phosphate checker (what you call a egg) and the alkalinity meter. I highly recommend both. Easy to use without color charts or guess work. For salt water they also have a calcium checker. I don't know if the calcium checker will work with fresh water.
goby1kenobi and goby1kenobi like this.

Tags
hanna, phosphates, test kits

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode