There is stuff in my Fertilizers bottles!!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
There is stuff in my Fertilizers bottles!!!

I buy dry fertilizer supplies from green leaf aquatics as well the 500ml dosing bottles too. I've noticed that generally a week or so after I make a new bottle, I see solids form in both the macro and micro nutrient bottles. Anyone know what this is? Typically if I siphon it out while dosing I just dump the solids I suck up in the trash. Just wanted to know what exactly is going here and if anyone has had similar experiences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 08:53 PM
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
Your micro is probably CSM+B The chelating agent (EDTA) in it is bonded to the metal nutrients it contains. EDTA increases the solubility of the metal nutrients. At a PH above 6.5 EDTA starts to separate from nutrient which then may oxidize and settle to the bottom of the bottle. oxides are not soluble in water so the longer the PH stays above 6.5 the more nutrients you loose.

You should also use distilled DI, or RO water. Any impurities in the water could react with the fertilizer salts which again could react with react and again resulting in the loss of nutrients. Also add an acid such as vinegar to the water and verify the PH is about 6 or a little less before you addd the CSM+B.

For the macro nutrients again use distilled RO or DI water. From what I have read potassium phosphate might react with magnesium sulfate resulting in magnesium phosphate which is a solid and will separate out of the water. Potassium phosphate might also react with your micro fertilizer which again can create a solid and loss of nutrients.

I would recommend you try mixing your your magnesium and CSM+B in in one bottle with a PH of 6 or less. And then mix your other in the second bottle. Or you could just add the fertilizers dry to your aquarium. Some precipitation may occur in the aquarium but with he chemistry constantly changing and CO2 making your water slightly acidic they solid might later redissolve and be consumed by plants.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode