Nitrates Needed For Marine Garden - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By ursamajor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Nitrates Needed For Marine Garden

Slightly off topic as it pertains to salt water / marine aquariums but I have been experimenting with a small salt water garden using frontal coast plants from the western shore of FL. I quickly realized these plants are nitrate consuming machines, and using my Seachem Nitrogen is way too costly. So I started adding Osmocote, and then more Osmocote, but I am afraid they consume nitrates faster than all other traces and I do not want the other traces to build to toxic levels for plants just to obtain nitrates. I have found that this tub with about 5 gallons of water in it consumes aproximately 5ppm every 12 hours which is a lot! The water is directly out of the ocean, extremely high gH so far off the charts I have no idea its actual level and the kH is around 150ppm. Oddly though the ocean water has no detectable nitrates where I take the water from the shore near mangroves. Any suggestions for maybe a DIY nitrogen supply? Does not have to be fish safe, nothing lives in this tub of water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-

Last edited by Teebo; 03-23-2018 at 05:00 PM. Reason: .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Upon a little research it seems potassium nitrate powder is the best way to go about making a DIY solution. Referring to my lineup of Seachem products, potassium requires the most volume for dosing aside from Excel. ex: I use 0.5mL of nitrogen for every 2.0mL of potassium added. I assume if I had no fish at all and no source of nitrogen I would be dosing equal parts of nitrogen as potassium.

With this being said, I want to know if I made a solution using potassium nitrate powder suspended in distilled water....if this will not only provide my nitrates but also an adequate supply of potassium too? I am not big on chemistry, so I was not sure if the potassium part of the nitrate powder was just some sort of a carrier or something and not the same potassium trace I am thinking of and adding to my aquariums using Seachem??

Thanks in advance!

-
-
-
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 04:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I would use KNO3 as well but I don't think it's going to matter much. Those are terrestrial plants that are salt tolerant. Even mangroves extract the freshwater from sea water.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Not matter much? As in how?

I know salt tolerant plants extract fresh water but I am not sure what your point was on it?

-
-
-
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 01:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I meant that they will do poorly in straight seawater. Many will simply not survive. Your'e better off using brackish or even freshwater.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 07:45 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebo View Post
With this being said, I want to know if I made a solution using potassium nitrate powder suspended in distilled water....if this will not only provide my nitrates but also an adequate supply of potassium too? I am not big on chemistry, so I was not sure if the potassium part of the nitrate powder was just some sort of a carrier or something and not the same potassium trace I am thinking of and adding to my aquariums using Seachem??
KNO3 definitely provides usable potassium as well as nitrate. There are a couple places you can buy it online - I had a great experience buying from NilocG. Good price and fast delivery.

If you want to try mixing it in solution I highly recommend checking out Rotala Butterfly. They have a calculator that does all the math for you; if you choose the volume of your solution and the volume of your dose, it will tell you how much dry fertilizer to add to the solution AND calculate what the ppm of both K and NO3 will be in your 5 gal tub after dosing.

link: https://rotalabutterfly.com/nutrient-calculator.php
Teebo and Teebo like this.

Everything flows.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorfox View Post
I meant that they will do poorly in straight seawater. Many will simply not survive. Your'e better off using brackish or even freshwater.
Not true, these are frontal dune plants designed to take on the harsh conditions:

"Only a few plant species can tolerate the
stresses of a dune environment, particularly
frontal dune sites. Foredune plants must be
able to survive being buried by blowing
sand, sand blasting, salt spray, salt water
flooding, drought, heat, and low nutrient
supply (2, 4, 15, 22). Salt spray, by
providing potassium, sodium, calcium, and
magnesium (32), is a major source of plant
nutrients in dune soils. In the absence of
salt-bearing onshore winds, many coastal
dune plants grow poorly or die"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursamajor View Post
KNO3 definitely provides usable potassium as well as nitrate. There are a couple places you can buy it online - I had a great experience buying from NilocG. Good price and fast delivery.

If you want to try mixing it in solution I highly recommend checking out Rotala Butterfly. They have a calculator that does all the math for you; if you choose the volume of your solution and the volume of your dose, it will tell you how much dry fertilizer to add to the solution AND calculate what the ppm of both K and NO3 will be in your 5 gal tub after dosing.

link: https://rotalabutterfly.com/nutrient-calculator.php
I was leaning toward GreenLeafAquariums for KNO3

Thank you!

-
-
-

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode